10-Run First Inning Lifts No. 21 Georgia Tech Past No. 23 St. John's, 13-0

Feb. 25, 2011

Box Score

ATLANTA, Ga. - Four relievers combined to toss 7.1 innings of three-run ball, but No. 23 St. John's stranded 13 baserunners and could not overcome a 10-run first inning deficit in a 13-0 loss to No. 21 Georgia Tech, the first time the team has been held scoreless in 123 games. Jimmy Brennan was 3-for-5, while Joe Panik and Sean O'Hare had two hits apiece to pace St. John's (2-2). After tossing 5.0 shutout innings on Opening Day, Sean Hagan (1-1) took the loss, allowing ten runs in 0.2 innings. Matt Skole was 3-for-6 with a home run and four RBI to lead Georgia Tech (4-2), while Mark Pope (2-0) had seven strikeouts in 6.0 scoreless innings.

St. John's threatened in the top of the first, but stranded a pair of runners. Brennan led off the game with a single before a Panik single gave the Red Storm runners on first and second. A balk moved the runners to second and third, but Pope kept St. John's off the board.

Georgia Tech promptly took the lead in the bottom of the first, sending 15 men to the plate in a 10-run inning. Following back-to-back singles to lead of the frame, Skole connected on a three-run home run to center field. Hagan allowed two more singles before striking out Mott Hyde for the inning's first out. A walk loaded the bases before Hagan plunked DeAndre Smelter to force in a run and Chase Butler plated two more runs with a two-run single. After Kyle Wren added a sacrifice fly, three-consecutive singles made it 9-0 and chased Hagan from the game. Eddie Medina entered the game and Daniel Palka quickly delivered an RBI single to give the Yellow Jackets a 10-0 lead.



Medina promptly retired the lead off batter in the second, but plunked Smelter and walked Butler before Wren put the Yellow Jackets up 12-0 with a two-run double.

Medina went on to work 3.2 innings of two-run ball, retiring three-straight to end his outing. Miguel Valcarcel came on in the fifth and allowed a trio of singles before a Smelter RBI fielder's choice gave the Yellow Jackets a 13-0 advantage.

The Red Storm stranded two runners in the sixth inning. Jeremy Baltz drew a one-out walk before O'Hare added a two-out single, but Pope used a strikeout to end the inning and keep the Red Storm off the board.

Georgia Tech went to the bullpen in the seventh as reliever Clay Dalton retired the first batter he faced before allowing consecutive singles to Robert Case and Brennan. St. John's, however, would strand both runners as Dalton used a pair of strikeouts to end the inning.

St. John's stranded two more runners in the eighth as Baltz led off with a walk and Kyle Richardson walked with two outs before Zach Brewster induced a fly out to end the frame.

The Red Storm stranded two runners in the ninth as well. After Pat Talbut drew a two-out walk, Panik single and both runners advanced on a passed ball. Brad Markey, however, induced a come-backer to end the game.

St. John's takes on Georgia Tech at 2 p.m. on Feb. 26 in game two of the series.

Notes: St. John's had not been held scoreless since May 20, 2008 in a 12-0 loss to Villanova in the BIG EAST Tournament ... Jake Woodward had two strikeouts in 1.0 shutout inning in his collegiate debut.


  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago
ST.JOHN'S OFFICIAL STORE St. John's Official Store
Big East logo and link Home I M G logo and link Home N C A A logo and link Home St. John's University logo and link Home