12TH INNING RALLY: St. John's Defeats Stony Brook, 7-1, In Return To Citi Field

Starter Mike Sheppard III allowed one run in 5.0 innings of work.

March 26, 2013

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

FLUSHING, N.Y. - A bases-clearing Frank Schwindel double highlighted a six-run rally in the 12th inning as St. John's defeated Stony Brook, 7-1, at Citi Field, home of the New York Mets. Schwindel finished 3-for-5 with three RBI to lead St. John's (8-14), which made its first appearance at Citi Field since playing in the inaugural game at the ballpark on March 29, 2009. Pat Talbut and Zach Lauricella had two hits each, while Martin Kelly was 1-for-5 with an RBI and two runs scored for the Red Storm. Joey Christopher (1-0) had one strikeout in 3.0 scoreless innings to earn his first-career win. Austin Shives finished 2-for-4 with one RBI to lead Stony Brook (7-16), while Bryan Tatelman (0-3) took the loss after allowing three runs without recording an out.

St. John's put together a two-out rally to take a 1-0 lead in the first inning as Kelly got things started with a double to right center. Schwindel followed with an infield single to give the Red Storm runners on the corners before Kelly raced home on a wild pitch from starter Tim Knesnik.

The Red Storm threatened in the third, but stranded a pair of runners and could not score. After Talbut drew a one-out walk and Lauricella reached on an infield single, a deep fly ball set up runners on the corners before Knesnik induced a groundout to end the inning.

St. John's starter Mike Sheppard III, meanwhile, retired the first seven batters of the game before issuing a one-out walk in the bottom of the third frame. The righty eventually retired 11-of-12 batters to open the game before allowing a two-out single in the fourth inning, the first Stony Brook hit of the game.

Stony Brook got on the board, however, in the fifth after a leadoff walk to Michael Roehrig set the table for the Seawolves to tie the game. After Roehrig advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt and moved to third on a groundout, Shives blooped an RBI triple in front of a diving Talbut in right field to make it a 1-1 ballgame.

St. John's threatened again in the sixth as Schwindel led off with an infield single. Schwindel was erased as Stony Brook retired the lead runner on a sacrifice bunt attempt, but Danny Bethea followed with a single up the middle to give St. John's runners on first and second with one out. Reliever Josh Barry retired the next two batters, however, to keep the Red Storm off the board.

St. John's went to bullpen in the sixth and the Seawolves threatened as reliever Alex Katz issued a leadoff walk and a one-out walk before inducing an inning-ending 4-6-3 double play.

A leadoff single by Bret Dennis followed by an error on a Talbut sacrifice bunt attempt set up runners on first and second with no outs as the Red Storm looked to rally in the seventh, but reliever Kenny Ball retired the next three batters to keep it a 1-1 game.

After a leadoff walk was erased on double play, Stony Brook tried to mount a two-out rally in the eighth as Cole Peragine chased Katz with a two-out single up the middle. Thomas Hackimer entered and plunked Anthony Italiano, but got out of the inning with a groundout.

Stony Brook put the winning run on base in the bottom of the ninth with a one-out walk, but Hackimer induced an inning-ending double play to send the game into extra innings.

St. John's drew a two-out walk in the 10th inning, but was kept off the board. Christopher entered the game in the bottom of the inning and allowed a two-out single to Jack Parenty, who was caught stealing to end the inning.

St. John's was retired in order in the 11th before Christopher worked around a leadoff single in the bottom of the frame.

The first six batters reached base as St. John's sent 12 men to plate and broke the game open with a six-run 12th inning. Dennis walked to lead off the inning before Talbut singled through the left side and Lauricella walked to load the bases and send Stony Brook to the bullpen. Kelly was then plunked to force in the go-ahead run before Schwindel roped a three-run double into the left field corner. Sean O'Hare followed with an RBI double to extend his hitting streak to 11 games before Bethea, the seventh batter of the inning, was retired for the first out. Kyle Lombardo made it 7-1 with an RBI double before Dennis walked and Talbut reloaded the bases with his second single of the inning, but a fly out ended the frame.

An error and a two-out single gave Stony Brook a pair of runners in the bottom of the frame, but Christopher shut the door with a flyout to end the game.

St. John's returns to action on March 28, hosting Cincinnati for a BIG EAST doubleheader beginning at noon.




  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago
ST.JOHN'S OFFICIAL STORE St. John's Official Store
Big East logo and link Home I M G logo and link Home N C A A logo and link Home St. John's University logo and link Home