Dixon, Nellis Selected To BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll |
March 28, 2016
Dixon earned a spot on the Weekly Honor Roll for the second-straight week after batting .364 (4-for-11) with nine RBI and a .909 slugging percentage. The catcher hit safely in all three games and also registered at least one RBI in all three contests. Dixon had one double, one triple and one home run against the Explorers.
In the series-opener against La Salle, Dixon went 2-for-4 with a triple and a home run as part of a career-high six-RBI effort. The six RBI marked the most by a Red Storm player since Zach Lauricella also had six RBI against Boston College on April 24, 2013. Dixon went 1-for-4 with two RBI in the second game of the series and finished 1-for-3 with one RBI in the finale.
Nellis, meanwhile, racked up a career-high eight strikeouts in 6.0 scoreless frames to earn the win in game two of the series. The lefty surrendered just two singles as part of a combined three-hit shutout against the Explorers.
The lefty did not allow a hit until a one-out single in the fifth and worked 1-2-3 innings in the second, third and fourth frames on his way to retiring 11-straight batters.
St. John’s returns to action on March 30 with a 3 p.m. game against Wagner at Kaiser Stadium (ESPN3).
- Baseball: NCAA Regional Press Conference: Clemson 9, St. John's 8
- Baseball: NCAA Regional Press Conference: St. John's 11, Morehead State 5
- Baseball: NCAA Regional Highlights: St. John's 11, Morehead State 5
- Baseball: NCAA Regional Press Conference: Vanderbilt 2, St. John's 0
- Baseball: Highlights: St. John's 3, Butler 1