St. John's Three-Game Win Streak Snapped at Georgetown

Phil Greene IV
Feb. 17, 2015

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

WASHINGTON - St. John's had its three-game win streak come to an end on Tuesday falling 79-57 to Georgetown at the Verizon Center. Phil Greene IV had a team-high 18 points. Sir'Dominic Pointer added 16 points to go with eight rebounds in the Red Storm's first loss in two weeks. Georgetown (17-8, 9-5) had six players in double-figures, including a 12-point, 10-rebound effort from D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera.
On the tail end of a two-game road trip, the Red Storm could not keep pace with the Hoyas' hot shooting in the second half. Georgetown buried 68.2 percent (15-of-22) of its field goal attempts and converted 7-of-10 3-pointers in the final 20 minutes. Jabril Trawick scored all 11 of his points in the stanza giving the Hoyas a boost with three 3-pointers.
"I thought they were razor sharp and hitting on all cylinders tonight," said St. John's head coach Steve Lavin. "The balanced scoring attack was an indication of that. Even defensively, the way they were able to limit our transition and contain our leading scorers."
St. John's (17-9, 6-7) entered the contest with the highest scoring average and team shooting percentage in BIG EAST play, but could not find its offensive rhythm Tuesday. After averaging 82.7 points and shooting a combined 53.4 percent in its previous three wins, the Red Storm had an off night and shot a season-low 32.8 percent.
A 12-4 run gave the Red Storm its largest lead of the game, a four-point advantage with 8:45 to go in the first half, but the team went cold for the rest of the stanza. Greene had eight of St. John's first 13 points. The senior guard hit his second 3-pointer of the ballgame to tie the contest at 13-13. Amar Alibegovic threw down a two-handed slam in transition beginning a string of three-consecutive Red Storm buckets. Pointer knocked down a jumper and then Joey De La Rosa converted a layup to cap the run as the Red Storm led 19-15.
Georgetown answered with the next 13 points. A Joshua Smith layup gave the Hoyas a 33-23 lead at the break. The Hoyas went 0-for-9 from downtown in the first 20 minutes, before finding their 3-point shooting touch in the second half.
Trawick drained his first 3-pointer 43 seconds into the second half to open a 36-23 advantage for the Hoyas and St. John's would not get any closer than 13.
Alibegovic led the St. John's bench with five points, while Jamal Branch dished out a team-high five assists. Mikael Hopkins gave Georgetown 12 points (5-of-5 FG) and eight rebounds in 20 reserve minutes.
"We have to turn our energies to Seton Hall and the upcoming three game homestand," said Lavin. "We are banged up and hopefully over the next couple days we can get D'Angelo [Harrison] and Chris Obekpa closer to full strength. We are going to have our hands full on Saturday against a dangerous Seton Hall team."
St. John's carries an 8-1 record at Carnesecca Arena into its noon tip-off with Seton Hall on FOX. The Red Storm radio broadcast will air on 98.7 WEPN-FM.




  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago
ST.JOHN'S OFFICIAL STORE St. John's Official Store
Big East logo and link Home I M G logo and link Home N C A A logo and link Home St. John's University logo and link Home