No. 21/21 Marquette Tops St. John's, 74-45|
March 11, 2009
NEW YORK - Paris Horne scored 15 points and D.J. Kennedy added 11, but that was not enough as No. 21/21 Marquette came away with the 74-45 win over St. John's in the BIG EAST Championship second round on Wednesday.
Horne led the team in scoring for the second-straight game. The sophomore was 6-of-15 from the field, 1-of-4 from long distance and 2-of-2 from the free throw line. He also recorded a game-high two blocks.
Kennedy reached double-figures in scoring for the second-straight contest, shooting 4-of-10 from the field and 3-of-6 from the charity stripe.
Wesley Matthews scored 20 points as the Golden Eagles snapped a four-game losing streak.
Lazar Hayward added 17 points for fifth-seeded Marquette (24-8), who advanced to Thursday's quarterfinals against fourth-seeded and 10th-ranked Villanova.
This was the first Marquette win since the loss of starting point guard Dominic James to a broken left foot.
- Men's Basketball: Getting to Know: Josh Roberts
- 2018 Lou Carnesecca & Chris Mullin Golf Classic Recap
- Basketball: Red Storm Report (2018) - Episode 10
- Men's Basketball: BIG EAST Tournament Press Conference: Xavier 88, St. John's 60
- Men's Basketball: BIG EAST Tournament Highlights: St. John's 88, Georgetown 77