Memphis Buzzer-Beater Hangs Heartbreaker On St. John's, 73-71

March 17, 2010

  • Box Score

    MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- Wesley Witherspoon scored 18 points, including the winning layup as time expired, to give Memphis a 73-71 victory over St. John's in the opening round of the National Invitation Tournament on Wednesday night.

    Witherspoon drove down the left side of the lane and lofted a shot high off the glass over Anthony Mason Jr. The ball bounced on the rim and dropped through as the horn sounded for the victory.

    Officials reviewed the play, and ruled the basket was made before time expired.

    Mason, who finished with 17 points, had connected on a 3-pointer from way beyond the arc with 17 seconds remaining to tie the game at 71, setting the stage for Witherspoon's final play.

    D.J. Kennedy finished with a team-high 18 points, including a 4-for-9 night from beyond the arc, and added six rebounds and four assists. Malik Boothe added 10 points and a game-high seven assists, while Justin Brownlee had 11 points.

    St. John's (17-16) held a 35-28 advantage on the glass and had 21 assists on the night, while turning the ball over just eight times.

    "Mason did a good job on him," St. John's coach Norm Roberts said of defending the Tigers' winning play. "The kid made a great layup, I mean a great layup. They made big plays, and they had the ball last."

    Elliot Williams added 14 points for Memphis (24-9), while Will Coleman had 10 points and 12 boards.

    Memphis led 44-35 at halftime after an accurate shooting display, particularly from outside the arc.

    The Tigers missed only three of their 13 shots from 3-point range (76.9 percent) in the opening frame, part of shooting 60 percent (15 of 25) overall.



    "We knew we had to get out and pressure them more and not make it easy for them," Roberts said of a second-half change in defensive strategy. "I thought we let them walk into some 3s."

    Roberts was right. As well as Memphis shot in the first half, the Tigers couldn't keep pace. The lead dwindled at the start of the second half as St. John's pulled within one on several occasions near the midway point of the half.

    The Red Storm finally took the lead 60-59 when Mason connected on a 3-pointer with 4:10 remaining.

    St. John's was still leading 67-66 when Witherspoon hit a 3-pointer from the corner with Kennedy's hand in his face. Memphis never trailed again, although Mason's 3-pointer with 17 seconds remaining left the game in Witherspoon's hands.

  • StJohnsBBall

    • Loading Tweets...
      1 second ago
    ST.JOHN'S OFFICIAL STORE St. John's Official Store
    Big East logo and link Home I M G logo and link Home N C A A logo and link Home St. John's University logo and link Home