Obekpa To Miss Tip-Off, Exhibition Contests For University Policy Violation|
Oct. 25, 2013
QUEENS, N.Y. - St. John's University announced Friday the suspension of sophomore center Chris Obekpa for tonight's Red Storm Tip-Off and SJU's two exhibition contests vs. San Francisco State (Saturday, Nov. 2, 3 p.m.) and Humboldt State (Monday, Nov. 4, 7:30 p.m.).
The two-game penalty and absence from tonight's event is a result of a violation of St. John's university policy.
"We expect our student-athletes to conduct themselves in a responsible manner in representing St. John's University," said head men's basketball coach Steve Lavin. "Chris understands this suspension can serve as a learning experience."
A game-changing shotblocker, the 6-9 Obekpa averaged 4.03 blocks to lead the NCAA in rejections per game and totaled a school and BIG EAST-record 133 blocks as a freshman in 2012-13. Obekpa swatted a school-record 11 shots in a victory against Fordham (Dec. 8, 2012) en route to matching the St. John's single-season record (76) in just 15 games before eclipsing it in only his 16th contest as a collegian.
Obekpa will continue team practice throughout the preseason and will be reinstated for the Red Storm's season-opening contest vs. No. 21 Wisconsin in Sioux Falls, S.D., on Nov. 8.
- Basketball: Red Storm Report (2018) - Episode 10
- Men's Basketball: BIG EAST Tournament Press Conference: Xavier 88, St. John's 60
- Men's Basketball: BIG EAST Tournament Highlights: St. John's 88, Georgetown 77
- Men's Basketball: BIG EAST Tournament Press Conference: St. John's 88, Georgetown 77
- Basketball: Red Storm Report (2018) - Episode 9