Joe Madsen's Seven Points Vault St. John's Past Hartford, 14-12

Feb. 17, 2018

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery 

QUEENS, N.Y. - Led by a career-high seven-point outing from sophomore Joe Madsen, the St. John’s lacrosse team defeated Hartford, 14-12, on Saturday afternoon at DaSilva Field.

For the Red Storm (1-1), the win was the first of the season and the first victory on its home field since an 8-5 triumph over BIG EAST foe Georgetown on Apr. 30, 2016.

Joe Madsen led the way for the Johnnies, scoring five goals and dishing out two assists for a career-high seven points. The five strikes tie a career high set by the sophomore last season against No. 4/4 Denver, and the pair of helpers are also a new career best.

Jason DeBenedictis also tallied a hat trick and an assist for his second-consecutive four-point day as the senior also finished with a pair of goals and assists last weekend at No. 8/7 Rutgers.

Junior Colin Duffy became the third Red Storm player to record a multi-goal outing on Saturday with two goals, including a highlight-reel goal in the second quarter.

Corey Haynes matched a career high with two helpers, Luke Roediger scored his first-collegiate goal and secured his first-collegiate multi-point game, and Ryan Schaeffer tallied his first-career goal in the win.

Paul Tornatore was the top-man inside the X for the Johnnies, winning six draws on 18 attempts. As a team, St. John’s struggled in faceoffs, with Hartford (0-1) winning 22-of-30.

Goalkeeper Matt Hanley collected his first-career win as a member of St. John’s, turning aside 10-of-22 shots. Nicholas Ferraro made 11 saves on 25 attempts in a losing effort for the Hawks.

Hartford finished with a 42-35 shot advantage, but St. John’s led 25-22 in shots on goal.

After an early turnover gave Hartford the game’s opening possession, the Hawks found the scoreboard first on a give-and-go play to give the visitors an early 1-0 lead.

Following the goal, St. John’s began to apply pressure on the offensive end by firing the game’s next four shots, including three on goal.

The Johnnies finally broke through just moments later when Stackpole found Schaeffer in the slot who bounced one past the goalkeeper to even the score at 1-1.

Hartford regained the lead just moments later and seemly took control of the game. The Hawks recorded four-consecutive shots before doubling their lead on a short-side goal to go up, 3-1, midway through the opening quarter.

After Duffy was stopped point-blank, Joe Madsen brought the Red Storm back within a goal after the sophomore made a sweet move to free himself and deposited a shot into the short-side corner to bring the score to 3-2 with less than three to play in the first.

However, the Hawks scored a pair of goals in quick succession, including on a man-up opportunity, to carry a 5-2 advantage into the second quarter.

Ferraro was the difference during the opening 15 minutes, making a game-high seven saves to help boost the Hawks to a three-goal lead.

St. John’s turned up the pressure in the second quarter, and the effort paid off for the home side. The Johnnies erupted for three goals in 27 seconds to quickly even the score at 5-5 just moments into the frame.

Following a great save by Hanley, Roediger started the offensive attack with an end-to-end run where he found Duffy alone in front of the net. The junior made a quick deke and buried the shot to bring the score to 5-3.

Just 13 seconds later, Tornatore won a faceoff, collected the groundball, and then found Joe Madsen in alone who found the back of the net again for the Johnnies to quickly cut the deficit to one.

St. John’s was not finished there, however, as 14 seconds following the Madsen goal TJ Marron went coast-to-coast and deposited his first of the season to pull the Red Storm even at five.

With all the momentum with the home side, the Johnnies kept their foot on the gas. Matt Oehl found DeBenedictis who stepped into a shot and beat Ferraro through the five hole to put St. John’s in front for the first time.

The senior struck again from nearly the identical spot on the field with another hot-shot that went through Ferraro and boosted the Red Storm to a two-goal cushion.

In summary, the run consisted of five goals over a 7:28 span and turned a 5-2 hole into a 7-5 advantage.

Hartford would not go away, however, as the Hawks embarked on a run of their own through the midway point of the second quarter. The visitors struck for three-consecutive goals to regain the lead, 8-7, with just over three minutes remaining in the half.

The lead didn’t last long for the Hawks as the Johnnies collected the final strikes of the opening 30 minutes.

After Joe Madsen tied the game with his third goal of the afternoon, St. John’s turned in the highlight of the day on the extra-man opportunity. Corey Haynes slid a pass down to Joe Madsen behind the net, who hit a streaking Duffy with a perfect pass, and the junior went behind-the-back for the score to send the Red Storm to the locker room with a 9-8 advantage.

Out of the halftime break, St. John’s continued to push the attack on offense as the Madsen twins took over.

Joe Madsen scored his fourth goal of the afternoon on a great piece of tic-tac-toe passing. Roediger started the play by forcing a turnover, collecting a groundball to start up-field, and finding DeBenedictis along the sideline. There, the senior froze both the defense and the goalkeeper with a no-look pass across the field to a wide-open Madsen who found the back of the net for a 10-8 lead.

Less than a minute later, it was Mike Madsen who found the scoreboard for the Johnnies with some slick moves in the open field. The sophomore broke free of his defender with a hesitation move, worked to the middle of the slot, and beat Ferraro to put St. John’s ahead 11-8.

The twins weren’t finished as Joe tallied his fifth strike and sixth point of the game on a solo effort to the net, giving the Red Storm its largest lead of the day, 12-8, with less than five minutes gone in the third.

Roediger continued his stellar offensive play from the backline midway through the penultimate frame by shaking off a backchecking defender and going low on Ferraro to put the Johnnies up 13-9.

The Hawks gained momentum in the dying moments of the third quarter with an extra-man goal to cut the deficit to three heading into the final frame. Then, Hartford scored back-to-back markers in the opening five minutes of the fourth to quickly trim the St. John’s lead down to 13-12 with over ten minutes to play.

Receiving a man-up opportunity late in the game, the Red Storm put the finishing touches on its victory with DeBenedictis connecting again from his favorite spot to give the Johnnies a two-goal cushion.

Hartford tried to threaten over the final moments, but the St. John’s defense shut the door to hold on for the win.

St. John’s will remain home next weekend to host High Point on Feb. 24 at DaSilva Memorial Field. Opening faceoff is set for 1 p.m.




  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago
ST.JOHN'S OFFICIAL STORE St. John's Official Store
Big East logo and link Home I M G logo and link Home N C A A logo and link Home St. John's University logo and link Home