Feb. 17, 2017
• Follow St. John’s Lacrosse on Twitter
• #SJULAX Game Notes
• #SJULAX Hype Video
• #SJULAX Record Book
QUEENS, N.Y. – St. John’s plays host to local foe Stony Brook on Sunday, Feb. 19, for the Red Storm’s second-straight matchup at home to open up the 2017 campaign. First faceoff is set for 1 p.m., at DaSilva Memorial Field on the St. John’s University Queens campus.
Senior long stick defenseman Jack McClellan, who will play as an LSM at times this year, scored the first two goals of his career in last weekend’s matchup with Rutgers. The senior shot a perfect 2-for-2 on the day and showed his stick skills with the long pole.
Sunday’s game will be streamed live on www.RedStormSports.com with Ralph Bednarczyk and Robert Engelke on the call. Live stats are also available on the St. John’s Athletics website.
SERIES HISTORY: ST. JOHN’S vs. STONY BROOK
• This contest will mark the tenth time that St. John’s and Stony Brook have met, as Stony Brook took control of the all-time series last year with a 14-6 victory at Kenneth P. LaValle Stadium in Stony Brook, N.Y. The Seawolves now lead the all-time series, 5-4.
SCOUTING THE SEAWOLVES
• Following a 12-4 record in 2016, the Seawolves received votes in the USILA/Nike 2017 Preseason Coaches’ Poll and were picked to finish fourth in the America East Preseason Coaches’ Poll. Stony Brook returns 26 players from last year’s squad that finished No. 17 in the end-of-year ranks.
• The Stony Brook attack is led by Ryan Bitzer, who returns as the Seawolves’ fifth-leading scorer from last year. The attacking unit lost seniors Brody Eastwood and Matt Schultz who combined for 105 points last season
• Stony Brook boasts an experienced and strong midfield, including preseason All-American selection Jeff Reh and All-America East First Team (2016) member, Alex Corpolongo, brother of the Red Storm’s own Justin Corpolongo.
• In the team’s season-opener, Stony Brook topped Sacred Heart, 12-11, on the road. Freshman Tom Haun led the way for the Seawolves with four goals and Alex Corpolongo added three goals and two assists.
• The Johnnies hit the road for the first time in 2017 as the team travels to take on High Point in the first-ever meeting between the programs.
• The game will be played on Saturday, Feb. 25, at 1 p.m., at Vert Stadium. A live stream of the event will be available on the Big South Network.
Keep up with Red Storm lacrosse all season long at RedStormSports.com and on Twitter by following @StJohnsLax and using the hashtag “#SJULAX.”