Second-Straight Bennett Game-Winner Lifts St. John's Past BU, 1-0

Rafael Diaz posted his second-straight shutout and the 10th of his career.

Sept. 3, 2011

Box Score

BOSTON, Mass. - Jack Bennett tallied the game-winning goal for the second-straight game as St. John's racked up 17 shots and posted its second-straight shutout with a 1-0 victory against Boston University. Bennett scored in the 34th minute to lead St. John's (2-1-0), while Rafael Diaz posted the shutout without facing a shot on goal. Nick Thomson made four saves for Boston University (1-2-0).

"We had a great effort from our defensive line tonight in allowing no shots on goal and our offense created a lot of chances throughout the game," said head coach Dr. Dave Masur. "This was a tough game to close out a challenging weekend road trip because Boston University is a very talented program and had the support of huge crowd."

The Terriers had the first scoring chance of the game following a corner kick in the 14th minute, but a shot by Stephen Knox sailed well high of net.

St. John's was not able to create a shot following a 19th minute corner kick, but had a good chance in the 24th minute after Bennett worked the ball up the left side of the field. A 15-yard attempt by Bennett was wide, however, of the near post.

The teams then traded off-target efforts as a Nick Matthews shot in the 31st minute went wide before a Dominique Badji chip-shot from 10-yards went high in the 32nd minute.

St. John's, however, capitalized on its first shot on goal to take a 1-0 lead in the 34th minute. After dribbling past two defenders on the left side, Bennett beat a third defender before sending a shot to the far post and past the keeper.

The Red Storm kept the pressure on after taking the lead as Bennett had a shot saved after a corner kick in the 35th minute. Walter Hines then had a shot blocked before Thomson saved a Daniel Herrera attempt in the 36th minute.



Pablo Battuto Punyed sent in off-target shots in the 41st and 42nd minutes and the Red Storm took a 1-0 lead into halftime

St. John's had an early opportunity in the second half, but a Jimmy Mulligan one-timer was blasted high in the 47th minute.

After a Ben Berube shot narrowly missed wide in the 49th minute for the Terriers, St. John's put together a pair of great chances. Thomson saved a Mulligan shot in the 50th minute before a Tim Parker rebound attempt went wide of the far post.

A 52nd minute corner kick nearly set up a goal for St. John's as a deflection by Hines went past a sprawling Thomson, but just wide of the post.

A turnover in the midfield then set up a Connor Lade shot from 35-yards out in the 61st minute, but Thomson was able to smother the shot to keep it a 1-0 game.

The Terriers tried again to find the equalizer with a pair of chances in the 74th minute. A Kelvin Madzongwe shot was blocked and the ensuing corner kick set up a Nick Prunier shot that went wide to the left.

The Terriers had three shots in the final five minutes of regulation, but all three were blocked by the Red Storm backline and St. John's took the 1-0 win.

St. John's returns to Queens and hosts Harvard at 8 p.m. on Sept. 9 in the 2011 home-opener.


  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago
ST.JOHN'S OFFICIAL STORE St. John's Official Store
Big East logo and link Home I M G logo and link Home N C A A logo and link Home St. John's University logo and link Home