FDU Uses OT Penalty Kick To Defeat No. 14/11 St. John's, 2-1

Sean Sepe scored his team-leading fifth goal to pace St. John's.

Oct. 1, 2013

Box Score

TEANECK, N.J. - A Sean Sepe equalizer in the 87th minute forced overtime, but a golden goal penalty kick proved the difference as No. 14/11 St. John's was defeated by FDU, 2-1, in a rematch of a 2012 NCAA Tournament First Round game. Sepe scored his team-leading fifth goal, and fourth in five games, to lead St. John's (5-3-1) and Rafael Diaz made four saves. Anders Vest-Hansen scored the game-winner and added an assist for FDU (6-3-0), while Jacob Lissek had two saves in goal.

"It's always tough to lose an overtime game on a penalty kick," said head coach Dr. Dave Masur. "FDU is very organized in the back and we struggled to break down their defense tonight. We have to challenge ourselves to get better on offense and it starts with consistency."

FDU had the first scoring opportunity of the game in the 2nd minute, but a shot from Martin Lukaschik was aimed directly at Diaz.

St. John's had its first chance in the 9th minute as Danny Bedoya worked his way through traffic before rolling a shot at Lissek, who made an easy save.

The Knights had another shot on goal in the 12th minute as Simon Doherty sent a half volley towards net that was picked up by Diaz.

Neither team registered another shot until the 22nd minute when a corner kick by FDU set up a header for Nicholas Walker that went wide.

Opportunities remained at a premium as a FDU corner kick resulted in a wide header in the 22nd minute before St. John's was kept from creating a shot after a corner kick in the 26th minute.

St. John's had perhaps the best opportunity in the first half as Sepe made a nice run up the right sideline before sending a pass into the box, but Miguel Alves pushed a shot into the side netting in the 42nd minute and the game remained scoreless at halftime.



The teams traded possession early in the second half, but neither squad could muster a shot until the 66th minute when a Vest-Hansen effort from distance was saved by Diaz.

The Knights, however, went on the board in the 72nd minute. After working up the right sideline, Vest-Hansen sent a pass to Yusuf Hamza. A crossing pass from Hamza into the box was then headed inside the near post by Nico Wright to give FDU a 1-0 lead.

St. John's tried to answer quickly and earned a consecutive corner kicks in the 73rd minute. The second effort eventually created a shot for Jelani Williams, but it was saved by Lissek. The Red Storm earned another corner kick in the 76th minute, but could not find a shot.

With time running down, St. John's took advantage of a turnover to grab the equalizer in the 87th minute. A failed clearance just outside of the 18-yard box ended up at the feet of Sepe, who quickly worked in towards goal before unleashing a 12-yard blast into the back of the net to level the score at 1-1.

FDU had one final chance as a corner kick in the 90th minute set up a Walker header, but it was pushed well wide and the game went to overtime.

The Knights went on the attack quickly in overtime and earned corner kicks in the 92nd and 93rd minutes, but could not create a shot on either attempt.

FDU, however, earned a penalty kick in the 97th minute as Vest-Hansen was taken down from behind just as he entered the box. Vest-Hansen stepped up to the spot and tucked a low shot inside the left post for the game-winner.

St. John's returns home and returns to BIG EAST play with a 7 p.m. game against Providence on Oct. 5.


  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago
ST.JOHN'S OFFICIAL STORE St. John's Official Store
Big East logo and link Home I M G logo and link Home N C A A logo and link Home St. John's University logo and link Home