St. John’s and Creighton Play to Weather-Shortened 2-2 Draw

Oct. 6, 2017

Final Stats

OMAHA, Neb. - Following a lengthy lightning delay at Morrison Stadium with less than 10 minutes to play in regulation, the St. John’s men’s soccer team and Creighton saw their match called a 2-2 draw in the 81st minute on Friday night.

With the tie, the Red Storm moves to 5-4-2, including a 2-1-1 mark in BIG EAST play. Creighton, who checked in at no. 16 in the first NCAA RPI released on Monday, moves to 6-4-1 with a 1-2-1 record in league action.

Harry Cooksley recorded his second and third goals of the season for the Red Storm, registering tallies in the 46th and 56th minutes. Jack Shearer added his team-best third assist of the season on Cooksley’s second marker.

Andrew Withers made eight saves on the game, a season high for the redshirt junior from Wellington, New Zealand.

The Red Storm controlled the pace over the opening 15 minutes of the contest, registering the game’s first four shots, including a David Enstrom header off a free kick that missed just high in the 14th.

Creighton quickly began to battle back, as the two squads went back and forth over the next several minutes before the Bluejays broke through in the 31st on a penalty kick goal by Ricky Lopez-Espin, his sixth of the year.

Creighton continued to control the momentum over the remainder of the first half before carrying a 1-0 edge into the intermission. At the break, the Bluejays led the Red Storm, 11-5, in shots, including a 5-1 advantage in chances on goal.

It took the Red Storm less than a minute of second half action to pull the match even, as Matt Forster was brought down in the box by Creighton goalkeeper Collin Valdivia to give the Johnnies a chance at a PK. Cooksley stepped to the spot and delivered a strong right-footed strike, which bounced off Valdivia’s outstretched hand and into the back of the net.



The 52nd minute proved to be a memorable one, as the Johnnies appeared to pull ahead on a goal from Forster, but the play was whistled offside after the ball got past the keeper. Later in the minute, Mauricio Rivas was assessed a red card after a dangerous tackle on a Creighton player, forcing the Red Storm to play a man down for a remainder of the match.

Less than four minutes after going a man down, the Red Storm jumped ahead thanks to a fantastic effort from Shearer and Cooksley. The freshman from Aliquippa, Pa., began the sequence by shaking his defender down the left side and crossing to the near post for Cooksley. The senior from London touched it with his outside foot and slipped it through a narrow space between Valdivia and the post, finding the back of the net and putting the Red Storm ahead, 2-1.

Creighton drew even with the Johnnies in the 69th minute, as Connor Ramlo headed one home past Withers off a cross from Joel Rydstrand.

With just under 10 minutes remaining in regulation, a lengthy lightning delay began at Morrison Stadium. With no end to the storms in sight, the game was called after 80:31 of play.

St. John’s will close out a four-game road swing on Tuesday, traveling to Princeton for a 7 p.m. contest with the Tigers.


  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago
ST.JOHN'S OFFICIAL STORE St. John's Official Store
Big East logo and link Home I M G logo and link Home N C A A logo and link Home St. John's University logo and link Home