Last Minute Marquette Goal Downs St. John's, 1-0, in Double OT

David Enstrom
Oct. 14, 2017

Final Stats |  Box Score (PDF)Photo Gallery 

QUEENS, N.Y. - In the 110th minute of play between St. John's and Marquette, it appeared as if the two squads were heading toward a scoreless draw for the third-straight year. Instead, Matt Alba snuck his first goal of the year into the back of the net with just 26 seconds remaining on the clock to give the Golden Eagles a 1-0 victory at Belson Stadium.

"I was proud of our team," said Head Coach Dr. Dave Masur following the game. "I thought we played really well after the first 10 minutes, which I thought were a little shaky, but really the next 100 minutes of the game I thought we were fairly solid throughout. Marquette has played really well in the BIG EAST. They've played everybody tight and they're a good side. It was a little unfortunate we didn't get a goal tonight and we lost with 26 seconds to go, but it was really good effort and we have to keep pushing forward. Sometimes soccer can be a bit of a cruel and tough game."

Despite coming out on the wrong end of the final decision, St. John's (5-6-2, 2-2-1 BIG EAST) led in most statistical categories, firing off 12 shots to the Golden Eagles' nine and earning nine corners to Marquette's eight.

David Enstrom registered a team-high three shots, while Harry Cooksley, Andrea Previati and Filippo Ricupati each added a pair.

Andrew Withers stopped four of the five Golden Eagle tries on target in the game.

St. John's controlled the momentum throughout the early going of the contest, holding Marquette (2-8-2, 2-2-1 BIG EAST) without a shot for the entirety of the opening half. The Johnnies recorded a number of chances in the opening stanza, most notably a chip shot from Jack Shearer that seemed destined for the back of the net before a retreating Luis Barraza corralled it at the goal line for Marquette.

Marquette began to come alive in the latter 45, narrowly missing a go-ahead marker in the 77th minute when Alba headed one off the cross bar. The Red Storm, however, kept pace, matching Marquette's five shots with five of their own as the two squads headed into overtime scoreless after 90 minutes.

The Red Storm recorded three quality opportunities in the first extra period, as Enstrom sent a header over the bar in the 91st before Cooksley missed wide left in the 96th. With just over a minute to go in the first OT, Cooksley evaded his defenders down the left side and sent a near-perfect cross to the far post, but missed a Red Storm teammate as the two sides remained without a goal after 100 minutes. The Johnnies earned three corners in the first overtime period.

St. John's tallied the first chance of the final stanza, as Johnston shot one on target that was saved by Barraza following a corner kick in the 103rd minute. Marquette ramped up its pressure over the next several minutes, recording the game's next three shots before Alba found the back of the net off a cross from Brody Kraussel.

The Red Storm returns to action on Saturday, Oct. 21, traveling to The Windy City for a 2 p.m. ET tilt with DePaul at Wish Field.




  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago
ST.JOHN'S OFFICIAL STORE St. John's Official Store
Big East logo and link Home I M G logo and link Home N C A A logo and link Home St. John's University logo and link Home