Georgetown Holds off St. John's, 2-1, in the BIG EAST Semifinals

Jordan Shankle
Nov. 8, 2017

Final Stats | Box Score (PDF)

WASHINGTON - Despite narrowing the deficit to one in the closing minutes of the game, the St. John's men's soccer team proved unable to overcome an early Georgetown lead as the Red Storm fell to the Hoyas, 2-1, at Shaw Field on Wednesday afternoon.

"I thought we played better in this game than we did the day that we beat Georgetown," said Head Coach Dr. Dave Masur. "We had more quality chances. We broke them down in transition. They're a real dangerous team. I thought our defensive transition wasn't quite as good and that's where they got the one goal and then they scored off the set piece where Wilhelm Nilsson went out. Andrew Withers made some really great saves as well, but I really thought it was a fairly even game. We went toe to toe with them and had a lot of good moments as a team. I'm just sad to see that our season potentially comes to close. The guys have really worked so hard and have learned how to really push together and battle for each other, run for each other and sacrifice for each other. When you put a lot into something it hurts when it doesn't go your way and we saw that today."

Harry Cooksley found the back of the net for the Red Storm, his fourth goal of the campaign. Alistair Johnston picked up his fourth assist of the season on the goal.

Withers registered six saves for the Red Storm between the pipes.

The Red Storm recorded 19 shots on the afternoon, the team's second-highest total of the 2017 campaign.



Georgetown struck just 1:14 into the contest, as Achara buried a cross from Declan McCabe to put the Hoyas up 1-0.

After falling behind early, the Red Storm generated a number of chances, firing off nine shots over the remainder of the period, but failing to find the back of the net. The Johnnies also earned four corners to the Hoyas' one in the opening half.

Following the intermission, the Red Storm fired off the first five shots of the latter half, including a Cooksley free kick at the top of the box that went just over the bar.

In the 64th minute, the Johnnies registered their best chance of the game to that point, as Filippo Ricupati rang a shot off the post from inside the six-yard box.

Just two minutes after the Red Storm's missed opportunity, Georgetown added another tally to move ahead by a pair. Christopher Lemma sent a corner kick from the right side in front for BIG EAST Freshman of the Year Derek Dodson, who finished and extended the Hoyas' lead.

In the 77th, St. John's narrowed the deficit to just one, as the Red Storm took advantage of a Georgetown miscue to pull within a goal. On a throw-in near midfield, a Georgetown player attempted to send it to his back line, but did not put enough force behind it. Johnston stepped up and stole possession before finding Cooksley in motion with a pass through traffic. The senior moved to his right before sliding one past J.T. Marcinkowski and putting the Red Storm on the board.

The Johnnies registered one final opportunity with just over two minutes to play in the contest, but Georgetown was able to clear the threat.


  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago
ST.JOHN'S OFFICIAL STORE St. John's Official Store
Big East logo and link Home I M G logo and link Home N C A A logo and link Home St. John's University logo and link Home