Munshaw Propels St. John's Past William & Mary, 4-3, For Season Opening Win|
Jan. 25, 2014
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. –Sophomore Vaidik Munshaw won his first match as a member of the St. John’s men’s tennis team in grand fashion on Saturday as he topped William & Mary’s John Banks at the No. 6 singles position in three sets to give the Red Storm a 4-3 win in its season opener.
After claiming the first set, Munshaw fell in the second to set up the third set that put the match on the line for both squads. The sophomore from Ahmedabad, India never trailed in final frame as he won it, 6-4, to clinch the match for SJU (1-0, 0-0 BIG EAST).
The Tribe took the doubles point to give themselves an early 1-0 advantage but the Red Storm came back to win four out of six singles duals. Sophomore Lucas Hejhal started things off with a straight set, 6-3, 6-3, win over Addison Appleby at fourth singles to tie the match score at one. After William & Mary countered with a win at second singles, sophomore R.J. Del Nunzio won 6-5, 6-3 in the top position to knot the match up again.
Freshman Robert Livi then stepped up at third singles to win his match in three sets before another tie and Munshaw’s triumph against Banks.
For Del Nunzio, Livi, Munshaw and Hejhal it was their first singles victories in the Red and White. All six singles players in the Red Storm lineup were competing in their first matches for SJU.
The Red Storm will play its second match in as many days tomorrow against Penn State at noon. To stay up to date with everything St. John’s men’s tennis this season, be sure to track the squad by following the new Twitter handle, @StJohnsTennis. Use the hashtag #SJUMT to join the conversation.
St. John's 4, William & Mary 3
1. R.J. Del Nunzio (STJ) def. Ben Hoogland (W&M) 6-5 (7-4), 6-3
2. Ben Guthrie (W&M) def. Erick Reyes (STJ) 6-4, 6-4
3. Robert Livi (STJ) def. Will Juggins (W&M) 6-2, 5-6 (6-8), 6-3
4. Lucas Hehjal (STJ) def. Addison Appleby (W&M) 6-3, 6-3
5. Damon Niquet (W&M) def. Freddy Ruiz Acevedo (STJ) 6-3, 6-1
6. Vaidik Munshaw (STJ) def. John Banks (W&M) 6-5 (7-1), 5-6 (2-7), 6-4
1. Aaron Chaffee/Will Juggins (W&M) def. R.J. Del Nunzio/Vaidik Munshaw (STJ) 6-2
2. Ben Guthrie/Damon Niquet (W&M) vs. Robert Livi/Michael-John Every (STJ) 5-5, unfinished
3. John Banks/Ben Hoogland (W&M) def. Erick Reyes/Freddy Ruiz Acevedo (STJ) 6-5 (7-3)
St. John's 1-0
William & Mary 2-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (4,2,1,3,5,6)