Jan. 26, 2014
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. – After defeating William & Mary, 4-3, on Saturday in the 2014 spring season opener, the St. John’s men’s tennis team couldn’t find a way to claim its second-consecutive road victory as the Red Storm fell to Penn State, 7-0.
Sophomore Vaidik Munshaw, who was the hero after clinching the Red Storm victory on Saturday, tried to get SJU (1-1, 0-0 BIG EAST) on the board late in his match at sixth singles where he dropped a tough three-setter to the Nittany Lion’s Michael Reilly, 6-5(3), 5-6(2), 10-2.
Sophomores R.J. Del Nunzio, Lucas Hejhal and freshman Robert Livi, all winners over the Tribe yesterday, each dropped their singles matches at the No. 1, 3 and 4 slots, respectively.
The Red Storm’s home opener will take place on Friday, Jan. 31 against BIG EAST foe DePaul at noon at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. To stay up to date with everything St. John’s men’s tennis this season, be sure to track the squad by following the new Twitter handle, @StJohnsTennis. Use the hashtag #SJUMT to join the conversation.
Penn State 7, St. John's 0
1. Russell Bader (PSU) def. R.J. Del Nunzio (STJ) 6-3, 6-0
2. Alex Fennell (PSU) def. Erick Reyes (STJ) 6-5 (7-1), 6-5 (7-3)
3. Roman Trkulja (PSU) def. Robert Livi (STJ) 6-3, 6-5 (7-3)
4. Matt Barry (PSU) def. Lucas Hehjal (STJ) 6-1, 6-4
5. Marc ColladoCastells (PSU) def. Freddy Ruiz Acevedo (STJ) 6-3, 6-2
6. Michael Reilly (PSU) def. Vaidik Munshaw (STJ) 6-5 (7-3), 5-6 (2-7), 10-2
1. Russell Bader/Leonard Stakhovsky (PSU) def. R.J. Del Nunzio/Vaidik Munshaw (STJ) 6-3
2. Michael Reilly/Roman Trkulja (PSU) vs. Michael-John Every/Robert Livi (STJ) 4-3, unfinished
3. David Kohan/ChristianLutschaunig (PSU) def. Erick Reyes/Freddy Ruiz Acevedo (STJ) 6-0
St. John's 1-1
Penn State 2-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,4,3,2,5,6)