Freshman Freddy Ruiz Acevedo tallied his first singles win in grand fashion in the Red Storm's 4-3 win over DePaul.
Jan. 31, 2014
FLUSHING MEADOWS, N.Y. –In the St. John’s men’s tennis team’s 4-3 win over William & Mary to open the 2014 spring season, sophomore Vaidik Munshaw propelled the Red Storm with his three-set match clincher at sixth singles.
On Friday afternoon against BIG EAST foe DePaul, it was the same story. This time, it was freshman Freddy Ruiz Acevedo that was the hero in a 4-3 victory over the Blue Demons at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.
With the match score tied at three, the freshman from Monterrey, Mexico claimed the third set of his dual at the No. 6 slot to win the match for the Red Storm (2-1, 1-0 BIG EAST). Ruiz Acevedo, who had dropped the first set, took the final two frames in convincing fashion, 6-3, 6-2, to give SJU its fourth consecutive victory over DePaul since the Blue Demons joined the BIG EAST at the start of the 2005-06 season.
Like Munshaw’s clincher last weekend, Ruiz Acevedo’s win was the first singles victory of his young St. John’s career.
St. John’s took an early lead after sweeping doubles play before extending their margin in singles with a 6-2, 6-1 win from junior Erick Reyes at the No. 2 slot. After the point from Reyes, DePaul would go on to take the next three matches to give themselves a 3-2 lead. Munshaw then took a three-setter at sixth singles to knot up the score before Ruiz Acevedo’s clincher at fifth singles.
The win over the Blue Demons was the first time St. John’s won its conference opener in two years when the Red Storm topped South Florida, 5-2, at the National Tennis Center on March 24, 2012.
The Red Storm will be back in action on Friday, Feb. 7 when St. John’s takes on Marist at 3 p.m. at the National Tennis Center. To stay up to date with everything St. John’s men’s tennis this season, be sure to track the squad by following the new Twitter handle, @StJohnsTennis. Use the hashtag #SJUMT to join the conversation.
St. John's 4, DePaul 3
1. Filip Dzanko (DPU) def. R.J. Del Nunzio (SJU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
2. Erick Reyes (SJU) def. Kyle Johnson (DPU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Sten Leusink (DPU) def. Robert Livi (SJU) 3-6, 6-5, 6-4
4. Paul John (DPU) def. Lucas Hejhal (SJU) 6-0, 6-2
5. Freddy Ruiz Acevedo (SJU) def. Adam Reinhart (DPU) 5-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Vaidik Munshaw (SJU) def. Joshua Schramm (DPU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-5
1. Vaidik Munshaw/R.J. Del Nunzio (SJU) def. Filip Dzanko/Jan-Willem Feilzer (DPU) 6-3
2. Robert Livi/Michael-John Every (SJU) def. Tim Corwin/Adam Reinhart (DPU) 6-2
3. Erick Reyes/Freddy Ruiz Acevedo (SJU) def. Joshua Schramm/Sten Leusink (DPU) 6-4
DePaul 1-2, 0-1 BIG EAST
St. John's 2-1, 1-0 BIG EAST
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,4,1,3,6,5)