Feb. 10, 2014
FLUSHING MEADOWS, N.Y.– Despite claiming three wins in singles play after letting the doubles point slip away, the St. John’s men’s tennis team was unable to get past George Washington as the Red Storm fell to the Colonials, 4-3, on Sunday afternoon at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.
Down 3-0 in the match with four duals left to play, the Red Storm (2-2, 1-0 BIG EAST) went on a furious run starting with a three-set win from junior Erick Reyes at the No. 2 slot. Sophomore Vaidik Munshaw then followed with a 6-4, 2-6, 6-2 victory at fourth singles before classmate Lucas Hejhal tied the match, 3-3, with a three-set win of his own.
After taking the first set, 6-5, freshman Freddy Ruiz Acevedo, who was the hero in the Red Storm’s 4-3 win over DePaul on Jan. 31, fell to Ulrik Thomsen in the second and third sets to give GW their first victory of the season.
It was the third match that ended with a 4-3 decision this season for the Red Storm, two of those three beings wins in favor of SJU. George Washington has now won two-straight matches over St. John’s dating back to last season’s 5-2 win in the season finale.
St. John’s will next be in action on Friday, Feb. 14 when the Red Storm takes on Stony Brook. Updates all season long can be found on Facebook and on Twitter by following the handle @StJohnsMensTennis and using the hashtag #SJUMT.
George Washington 4, St. John's 3
1. Francisco Dias (GW) def. R.J. Del Nunzio (SJU) 5-6, 6-1, 6-3
2. Erick Reyes (SJU) def. Nikita Fomin (GW) 6-5, 1-6, 6-1
3. Julius Tverijonas (GW) def. Robert Livi (SJU) 6-5, 6-1
4. Vaidik Munshaw (SJU) def. Danil Zelenkov (GW) 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
5. Ulrik Thomsen (GW) def. Freddy Ruiz Acevedo (SJU) 5-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. Lucas Hejhal (SJU) def. Viktor Svensson (GW) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
1. Francisco Dias/Julius Tverijonas (GW) def. R.J. Del Nunzio/Vaidik Munshaw (SJU) 6-3
2. Nikita Fomin/Danil Zelenkov (GW) def. Robert Livi/Michael-John Every (SJU) 6-3
3. Erick Reyes/Freddy Ruiz Acevedo (SJU) def. Ulrik Thomsen/Viktor Svensson (GW) 6-2
George Washington 1-2, 0-0 A-10
St. John's 2-2, 1-0 BE
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,1,2,4,6,5)