Feb. 14, 2009
The St. John's men's tennis team lost its first match of the season Saturday on the second day of the 2009 ECAC Championship. The Red Storm fell victim to the tournament's host and first-seed, No. 49 Harvard Crimson, 4-0, at Harvard's Murr Center. With the loss, STJ falls to 3-1 on the season, while the Crimson improves to 2-1.
In doubles action, an 8-6 victory at the No. 3 spot by the St. John's duo of freshman Milo Hauk and junior Martin Kosut was not enough to claim the early lead, as Harvard took the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and 2 spots.
The Crimson then picked up straight-set wins at the No. 2, 3 and 4 singles spots to clinch the match. All other play was suspended after Harvard won its fourth and decisive point.
St. John's will return to the court on Sunday at 6:30 p.m., when the squad will take on the loser of the No. 4-seed Cornell and No. 5-seed Penn match, which will be determined Saturday night.
Harvard 4, St. John's 0
Saturday, February 14, 2009
Murr Center - Boston, Mass.
1. Sasha Ermakov/Alexei Chijoff-Evans (Harvard) def. Derek Wallensteen/Stefan Nikolic (STJ), 8-3
2. Michael Hayes/Alistair Felton (Harvard) def. Pavel Cerny/Gustavo Loza (STJ), 8-6
3. Milo Hauk/Martin Kosut (STJ) def. Davis Manghan/Aba Omodele-Lucien (Harvard), 8-6
Harvard won the doubles point and led the match 1-0.
1. Alexei Chijoff-Evans (Harvard) vs. Asaf Honig (STJ), 6-4, 4-3, DNF
2. Sasha Ermakov (Harvard) def. Milo Hauk (STJ), 6-2, 6-2
3. Michael Hayes (Harvard) def. Pavel Cerny (STJ), 6-3, 6-4
4. Alistair Felton (Harvard) def. Gustavo Loza (STJ), 6-4, 6-0
5. Davis Manghan (Harvard) vs. Stefan Nikolic (STJ), 7-5, 5-1, DNF
6. Aba Omodele-Lucien (Harvard) vs. Martin Kosut (STJ), 6-4, 5-4, DNF