Feb. 21, 2014
FLUSHING MEADOWS, N.Y.– Three-straight victories in singles play to tie the match score was not enough for the St. John’s men’s tennis team as the Red Storm could not overcome an early deficit, falling 4-3 to Illinois State at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on Friday afternoon.
With the Redbirds leading 3-0, the Red Storm (2-3, 1-0 BIG EAST) mounted a triumphant comeback starting with a 6-2, 6-4 win from junior Erick Reyes at the top singles slot. Sophomore Vaidik Munshaw took a straight set win of his own at fourth singles, 6-2, 6-4, while classmate Lucas Hejhal followed with a 6-3, 6-4 victory at the No. 3 slot to tie the match at three.
It all came to freshman Freddy Ruiz Acevedo -- who has already played hero for St. John’s this season in the Red Storm’s 4-3 win over DePaul on Jan. 31 -- at sixth singles. The Monterrey, Mexico native took the first set convincingly, 6-1, but would then go on to drop the next two to give Illinois State the road victory.
SJU owned a 1-0 lead in doubles with an 8-5 win from Reyes and partner R.J. Del Nunzio at second doubles, but the Redbirds would come from behind to claim the point after taking the matches at the first and third doubles positions.
Friday’s loss was St. John’s fourth match this spring that has been decided by one point, with the Red Storm now holding a 2-2 record in those decisions.
The Red Storm will next travel to the sunny beaches of La Jolla, Calif. where St. John’s will participate in the 125th Annual Pacific Coast Men’s Doubles Championship held at the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club. This year’s installment of the second-oldest tennis event in the United States will feature top doubles pairs from programs such as No. 2 USC, No. 4 UCLA, No. 9 Cal and BIG EAST foe Villanova among others.
Illinois State 4, St. John's 3
1. Erick Reyes (SJU) def. Jakub Eisner (ISU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Jacob Wilson (ISU) def. R.J. Del Nunzio (SJU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Lucas Hejhal (SJU) def. Urh Domiter Krajnc (ISU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Vaidik Munshaw (SJU) def. Muddapp Appanervanda (ISU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Rolando Torrellas (ISU) def. Robert Livi (SJU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Rodrigo Oliveira (ISU) def. Freddy Ruiz Acevedo (SJU) 1-6, 7-6 (8-6), 6-4
1. Jakub Eisner/Rolando Torrellas (ISU) def. Lucas Hejhal/Vaidik Munshaw (SJU) 8-7 (9-7)
2. R.J. Del Nunzio/Erick Reyes (SJU) def. Jacob Wilson/Urh Domiter Krajnc (ISU) 8-5
3. Muddapp Appanervanda/Rodrigo Oliveira (ISU) def. Robert Livi/Michael-John Every (SJU) 8-7 (7-4)
Illinois State 3-3, 0-0 MVC
St. John's 2-3, 1-0 BE
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,2,1,4,3,6)