Reyes' Clincher Pushes Red Storm Past Rice, 4-3|
March 3, 2014
LA JOLLA, Calif. – A busy past three days for the St. John’s men’s tennis team saw the Red Storm place two doubles pairs in the quarterfinals of the prestigious Pacific Coast Doubles Championship on Sunday, and a 4-3 win over Rice on Monday afternoon to move to 3-3 on the young season.
Junior Erick Reyes capped off his big weekend with a 6-3, 6-0 win at the top singles slot to clinch the match and to give the Red Storm its first win since a 4-3 win over DePaul on Jan. 31. Reyes has now won four-straight matches and has gone 2-0 since getting bumped up to first singles.
After claiming the doubles point, SJU continued to roll with a straight set victory from sophomore R.J. Del Nunzio at the No. 2 singles slot and was followed with a 6-2, 6-1 win from freshman Robert Livi. The Owls would go on to take the next two singles matches before Reyes’ clincher.
At the 125th Annual Pacific Coast Doubles Championship, the doubles pairing of Erick Reyes and R.J. Del Nunzio, ranked No. 52 in the ITA Doubles Rankings, reached the quarterfinals before falling to Mads Engsted and Filip Bergevi of No. 9 Cal, 8-4. The duo, the No. 9 seed of the prestigious tournament, had reached the final eight by topping Rice’s Henrik Munch, 8-4, Taylor Fritz and Riley Smith, 8-4, and Jacob Brumm and John Chanfrea, 8-5. Also advancing to the quarterfinals was senior Gary Kushnirovich and graduate assistant Gustavo Loza who topped opponents from Cal, University of San Diego and UCLA en route to the quarters.
The Red Storm will remain in Southern California where they will take on UC Santa Barbara on Wednesday, March 5 4:30 p.m. EST. To keep up with the St. John’s men’s tennis team this season, follow the team on Facebook and Twitter. Use the hashtag #SJUMT to join the conversation.
St. John's 4, Rice 3
1. Erick Reyes (SJU) def. Tommy Bennett (RICE) 6-3, 6-0
2. R.J. Del Nunzio (SJU) def. Adam Gustafsson (RICE) 6-0, 6-4
3. Srikar Alla (RICE) def. Lucas Hejhal (SJU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Max Andrews (RICE) def. Vaidik Munshaw (SJU) 7-5, 6-1
5. Robert Livi (SJU) def. David Warren (RICE) 6-2, 6-1
6. Gustavo Gonzalez (RICE) def. Gary Kushnirovich (SJU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
1. Srikar Alla/Leif Berger (RICE) def. Lucas Hejhal/Vaidik Munshaw (SJU) 8-3
2. R.J. Del Nunzio/Erick Reyes (SJU) def. David Warren/Tommy Bennett (RICE) 8-3
3. Michael-John Every/Robert Livi (SJU) def. Adam Gustafsson/Max Andrews (RICE) 8-4
St. John's 3-3, 1-0 BIG EAST
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,5,4,3,1,6)