Munshaw Lifts Red Storm Over UC Santa Barbara, 4-3|
March 5, 2014
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – Sophomore Vaidik Munshaw propelled the St. John’s men’s tennis team to a 4-3 victory over UC Santa Barbara on Wednesday evening with his three-set clincher at the No. 4 singles slot, avenging the Red Storm’s 4-3 loss to the Gauchos at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center last season. SJU moves to 4-3 overall with the win while UCSB falls to 3-9 on the season.
Munshaw, who has won four of his last five matches, took his match at fourth singles following a 7-6, 6-2 win from junior Lucas Hejhal at third singles that gave the Red Storm a 3-1 lead in the match. After the Gauchos tied the score at one at first singles, freshman Robert Livi produced a 6-3, 6-1 victory at the No. 5 slot to that gave SJU the lead again, 2-1.
For the second-consecutive match, St. John’s claimed the doubles point to give itself the early advantage. Against the Gauchos, the Red Storm dropped the match at the top slot before going on to take the next two matches with Livi and partner Michael-John Every picking up the clincher.
The Red Storm will remain in Southern California where they will take on Cal Poly tomrrow, March 6 at 4:00 p.m. EST. To keep up with the St. John’s men’s tennis team this season, follow the team on Facebook and Twitter. Use the hashtag #SJUMT to join the conversation.
St. John's 4, UC Santa Barbara 3
1. Tobias Galskov (UCSB) def. Erick Reyes (SJU) 6-0, 6-3
2. Ziad Sultan (UCSB) def. R.J. Del Nunzio (SJU) 4-6, 6-4, 7-6
3. Lucas Hejhal (SJU) def. Alexander Gryaznov (UCSB) 7-6, 6-2
4. Vaidik Munshaw (SJU) def. Erik Johnsson (UCSB) 1-6, 7-6, 6-3
5. Robert Livi (SJU) def. Teague Hamilton (UCSB) 6-3, 6-1
6. Miles Seemann (UCSB) def. Michael-John Every (SJU) 6-1, 7-5
1. Tobias Galskov/Ziad Sultan (UCSB) def. Lucas Hejhal/Vaidik Munshaw (SJU) 8-4
2. R.J. Del Nunzio/Erick Reyes (SJU) def. Erik Johnsson/Miles Seemann (UCSB) 8-4
3. Robert Livi/Michael-John Every (SJU) def. Teague Hamilton/Andrew Riminton (UCSB) 8-6
St. John's 4-3, 1-0 BE
UC Santa Barbara 3-9, 0-0 BW
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,5,3,6,4,2)