March 6, 2014
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. – A solid performance from the bottom half of the Red Storm lineup was not enough as the St. John’s men’s tennis team fell to Cal Poly, 5-2, in San Luis Obispo, Calif. on Thursday afternoon.
Senior Gary Kushnirovich picked up his first singles victory of the season in gritty fashion with a three-set win at the No. 6 singles slot to notch the final St. John’s point of the afternoon. Picking up the first point for the Red Storm was freshman Robert Livi, whose 7-5, 6-0 win at fifth singles was his third-consecutive victory since moving to the No. 5 slot.
For the Red Storm the loss to the Mustangs was its third match in four days as St. John’s has gone 2-1 in that stretch.
St. John’s will remain in Southern California where they will take on No. 43 Santa Clara on Sunday, March 9 at 1:00 p.m. EST. To keep up with the St. John’s men’s tennis team this season, follow the team on Facebook and Twitter. Use the hashtag #SJUMT to join the conversation.
Cal Poly 5, St. John's 2
1. Marco Comuzzo (CP) def. Erick Reyes (SJU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Ben Donovan (CP) def. R.J. Del Nunzio (SJU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Corey Pang (CP) def. Lucas Hejhal (SJU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Jurgen De Jager (CP) def. Vaidik Munshaw (SJU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Robert Livi (SJU) def. Garrett Auproux (CP) 7-5, 6-0
6. Gary Kushnirovich (SJU) def. Naveen Beasley (CP) 7-5, 4-5 (9-11), 1-0 (10-8)
1. Marco Comuzzo/Matt Thomson (CP) def. Lucas Hejhal/Vaidik Munshaw (SJU) 8-1
2. Corey Pang/Devin Barber (CP) vs. Erick Reyes/R.J. Del Nunzio (SJU) unfinished
3. Garrett Auproux/Jurgen De Jager (CP) def. Robert Livi/Michael-John Every (SJU) 8-4
St. John's 4-4
Cal Poly 3-8
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (2,1,4,5,3,6)