Sophomore R.J. Del Nunzio tallied his second singles win of the season in the Red Storm's 6-1 win over Fairfield.
March 16, 2014
HARRISON, N.Y. – The No. 74 St. John’s men’s tennis team tallied its third-consecutive victory on Sunday afternoon in a 6-1 victory over Fairfield at the Life Time Athletic Center in Harrison, N.Y. With the win the Red Storm improves to 7-4 on the season and have now won five of its last six matches.
Sophomore R.J. Del Nunzio tallied an impressive 6-3, 6-0 victory at the first singles slot while also picking up the final point in doubles with partner Erick Reyes at the No. 2 slot. Freshman Robert Livi, the reigning BIG EAST Player of the Week, won his sixth-straight match in a straight set victory at third singles that clinched the match for the Red Storm.
Sophomore Michael-John Every took the match at fourth singles, 6-1, 6-4, for his second win of the season while classmate Freddy Ruiz-Acevedo and senior Gary Kushnirovich also tallied singles victories in straight sets. SJU is now 3-0 in neutral site matches this season.
SJU will be back in action on Thursday, March 20 when the Red Storm takes on Marist at noon at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. To keep up with the St. John’s men’s tennis team this season, follow the team on Facebook
. Use the hashtag #SJUMT to join the conversation.
#74 St. John's 6, Fairfield 1
1. R.J. Del Nunzio (SJU) def. George Tioutine (FU) 6-3, 6-0
2. Ofir Solomon (FU) def. Lucas Hejhal (SJU) 7-5, 6-4
3. Robert Livi (SJU) def. Dennis Zlobinsky (FU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Michael-John Every (SJU) def. Cameron Amyot (FU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Freddy Ruiz Acevedo (SJU) def. Bjorn Merinder (FU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Gary Kushnirovich (SJU) def. Peter Colliard (FU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Lucas Hejhal/Vaidik Munshaw (SJU) def. Ian Tesmond/Cameron Amyot (FU) 8-3
2. R.J. Del Nunzio/Erick Reyes (SJU) def. Dennis Zlobinsky/George Tioutine (FU) 8-4
3. Michael-John Every/Robert Livi (SJU) def. Ofir Solomon/Bjorn Merinder (FU) 8-2
St. John's 7-4, 1-0 BIG EAST; National ranking #74
Fairfield 7-3, 1-0 MAAC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,5,3,4,1,2)