March 20, 2014
FLUSHING MEADOWS, N.Y. – A complete effort in both doubles and singles led the No. 74 St. John’s men’s tennis team to a 7-0 sweep over Marist at the Bille Jean King National Tennis Center on Thursday afternoon. The Red Storm is 8-4 overall and has now won four-straight matches going back to its 5-2 win against then-No. 43 Santa Clara on March 9.
In doubles, partners Michael-John Every and Robert Livi continued their stellar play at the No. 3 doubles slot with an 8-3 victory that set the table for Lucas Hejahl and Vaidik Munshaw’s win at first doubles to clinch the doubles point for SJU.
Sophomore R.J. Del Nunzio tallied his second-consecutive win at No. 1 singles, a three-set winner over Marist’s Lorenzo Rossi. Hejhal also picked up a three-set win at third singles while freshman Freddy Ruiz-Acevedo clinched the match for the Red Storm with a 6-3, 6-1 victory at fifth singles.
SJU will be back in action on Sunday, March 22 when the Red Storm takes on No. 38 Cornell in Ithaca, N.Y. at 2 p.m. To keep up with the St. John’s men’s tennis team this season, follow the team on Facebook
. Use the hashtag #SJUMT to join the conversation.
No. 74 St. John's 7, Marist 0
1. R.J. Del Nunzio (SJU) def. Lorenzo Rossi (MAR) 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
2. Erick Reyes (SJU) def. Dalen Klassen (MAR) 6-2, 6-1
3. Lucas Hejhal (SJU) def. Will Reznek (MAR) 6-7, 7-6, 10-7
4. Vaidik Munshaw (SJU) def. Joseph Dube (MAR) 6-2, 6-4
5. Freddy Ruiz Acevedo (SJU) def. Fredrik Bjerje (MAR) 6-3, 6-1
6. Michael-John Every (SJU) def. Matteo Giudici (MAR) 6-2, 6-2
1. Lucas Hejhal/Vaidik Munshaw (SJU) def. Lorenzo Rossi/Will Reznek (MAR) 8-6
2. R.J. Del Nunzio/Erick Reyes (SJU) vs. Dalen Klassen/Trym Nagelstad (MAR) 7-6, unfinished
3. Robert Livi/Michael-John Every (SJU) def. Matteo Giudici/Dylan Fletcher (MAR) 8-3
Marist 7-5, 2-0 MAAC
St. John's 8-4, 1-0 BIG EAST; National ranking #74
Order of finish: Doubles (13); Singles (2,6,5,4,1,3)