March 23, 2014
ITHACA, N.Y. – The No. 74 St. John’s men’s tennis team’s four-match winning streak was snapped at the hands of No. 38 Cornell, 7-0, on Saturday afternoon in Ithaca, N.Y. The loss puts the Red Storm at 8-5 overall on the season.
Sophomore R.J. Del Nunzio went toe-to-toe with the Big Red’s Stefan Vinti, ranked No. 121 in the ITA singles rankings, but ultimately fell in a third set super tiebreaker, 10-7. Clasmate Vaidik Munshaw also put up a fight at the No. 4 singles slot where he claimed the first set but dropped the final two, 6-3, 6-0.
SJU will be back in action on Wednesday, March 26 when the Red Storm travels to the City of Brotherly Love to take on Penn at 4 p.m. To keep up with the St. John’s men’s tennis team this season, follow the team on Facebook and Twitter. Use the hashtag #SJUMT to join the conversation.
No. 38 Cornell 7, No. 74 St. John’s 0
1. Sam Fleck (COR) def. Erick Reyes (SJU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Stefan Vinti (COR) def. R.J. Del Nunzio (SJU) 3-6, 7-6, 10-7
3. Bernardo Casares (COR) def. Lucas Hejhal (SJU) 6-2, 7-6
4. Alex Sidney (COR) def. Vaidik Munshaw (SJU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-0
5. Chris Vrabel (COR) def. Robert Livi (SJU) 6-3, 7-6
6. Jason Luu (COR) def. Gary Kushnirovich (SJU) 6-3, 6-4
1. Sam Fleck/Chris Vrabel (COR) def. Lucas Hejhal/Vaidik Munshaw (SJU) 8-1
2. Jason Luu/Quoc Nguyen (COR) def. R.J. Del Nunzio/Erick Reyes (SJU) 8-5
3. Bernardo Casares/Stefan Vint (COR) vs. Michael-John Every/Robert Livi (SJU) unfinished
St. John's 8-5; National ranking #74
Cornell 10-4; National ranking #38