March 26, 2014
PHILADELPHIA – Sophomore Michael-John Every notched his fourth-straight singles victory in style on Wednesday afternoon in Philadelphia as his win at the No. 6 singles slot gave the Red Storm a 5-2 victory over Penn. The Red Storm improves to 9-5 on the season with the victory over the Quakers.
Every also had himself a day in doubles where he and freshman Freddy Ruiz-Acevedo gave SJU an early advantage with an 8-4 win at the No. 3 slot. After junior Lucas Hejhal and sophomore Vaidik Munshaw clinched the doubles point for the Red Storm, junior Erick Reyes gave St. John’s a 2-0 lead with his win at first singles. Munshaw’s 6-0, 6-1 victory at the No. 3 singles slot set the table for Every’s clincher.
The final point of the match for SJU belonged to freshman Robert Livi whose 6-3, 6-2 win at fourth singles was his eighth of the season and his seventh victory over his last 10 duals.
The win over Penn marked the third time in four matches where the Red Storm took the doubles point. SJU is 3-1 in that span.
St. John’s will next travel to New Haven, Conn. to take on No. 68 Yale for a matchup set for Saturday, March 29 at 2 p.m. To keep up with the St. John’s men’s tennis team this season, follow the team on Facebook and Twitter. Use the hashtag #SJUMT to join the conversation.
St. John's 5, Penn 2
1. Erick Reyes (SJU) def. Vim De Alwis (PENN) 6-1, 1-0, retired
2. Jeremy Court (PENN) def. Lucas Hejhal (SJU) 6-4, 4-6, 10-6
3. Vaidik Munshaw (SJU) def. Blaine Willenborg (PENN) 6-0, 6-1
4. Robert Livi (SJU) def. Matt Nardella (PENN) 6-3, 6-2
5. Zach Katz (PENN) def. Freddy Ruiz Acevedo (SJU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Michael-John Every (SJU) def. Marshall Sharp (PENN) 6-4, 6-3
1. Lucas Hejhal/Vaidik Munshaw (SJU) def. Nikola Kocovic/Matt Nardella (PENN) 8-6
2. Jeremy Court/Zach Katz (PENN) def. Robert Livi/Michael-John Every (SJU) 8-4
3. Erick Reyes/Freddy Ruiz Acevedo (SJU) def. Thomas Spratt/Austin Kaplan (PENN) 8-4
St. John's 9-5, 1-0 BIG EAST
Penn 4-9, 0-0 IVY
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,3,6,4,5,2)