Del Nunzio, Livi Lift Red Storm Past No. 68 Yale, 4-3|
March 29, 2014
NEW HAVEN, Conn. – With the Red Storm down 3-2 on the road against No. 68 Yale on Saturday evening, sophomore R.J. Del Nunzio and freshman Robert Livi propelled the St. John’s men’s tennis team to a 4-3 win over the Bulldogs with back-to-back three-set victories at the No. 2 and 5 singles positions, respectively.
Livi, who leads the team with nine singles wins this season, topped Yale’s Photos Photiades, 6-2, 5-7, 7-6, to give the Red Storm its second win over a ranked opponent this season, the first being a 5-2 victory over No. 52 Santa Clara on March 9. Sophomore R.J. Del Nunzio set the table for Livi when he tied the match score at three with a 4-6, 6-1, 6-3 win at second singles.
The Red Storm (10-5, 1-0 BIG EAST) jumped on the Elis early when they swept doubles play to take an early 1-0 lead in the match.
The defeat of the Bulldogs was the Red Storm’s sixth match decided by the score of 4-3 this season; SJU is now 5-2 in those matches. Livi is now the fourth player to clinch a match for St. John’s this season joining junior Erick Reyes, sophomore Vaidik Munshaw and freshman Freddy Ruiz-Acevedo. With the win, the program has now recorded eight double-digit win seasons over the last ten years, all under head coach Eric Rebhuhn who is now three victories away from 150 wins in his career at St. John’s.
St. John’s will next travel to Cambridge, Mass. to take on No. 30 Harvard for a matchup set for tomorrow, March 30 at 2 p.m. To keep up with the St. John’s men’s tennis team this season, follow the team on Facebook and Twitter. Use the hashtag #SJUMT to join the conversation.
St. John's 4, #68 Yale 3
1. Tyler Lu (YALE) def. Erick Reyes (SJU) 6-4, 6-1
2. R.J. Del Nunzio (SJU) def. Martin Svenning (YALE) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
3. Daniel Faierman (YALE) def. Lucas Hejhal (SJU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Vaidik Munshaw (SJU) def. Kyle Dawson (YALE) 6-1, 6-3
5. Robert Livi (SJU) def. Photos Photiades (YALE) 6-2, 5-7, 7-6
6. Zach Krumholz (YALE) def. Gary Kushnirovich (SJU) 6-2, 6-4
1. Lucas Hejhal/Vaidik Munshaw (SJU) def. Tyler Lu/Martin Svenning (YALE) 8-6
2. R.J. Del Nunzio/Erick Reyes (SJU) def. Patrick Chase/Kyle Dawson (YALE) 8-4
3. Robert Livi/Michael-John Every (SJU) def. Daniel Faierman/Alex Hagermoser (YALE) 8-3
St. John's 10-5, 1-0 BIG EAST
Yale 9-4, 0-0 IVY; National ranking #68
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,1,3,6,2,5)