April 10, 2014
BINGHAMTON, N.Y. – No. 70 St. John’s claimed the doubles point for the sixth-consecutive match and won four of six duals in singles as the Red Storm defeated Binghamton, 5-2, on Thursday afternoon. SJU moves to 12-7 overall on the season with the win over the Bearcats.
St. John’s continued the momentum in singles as Reyes won his match second singles in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1, and sophomore Vaidik Munshaw topped Binghamton’s Alexander Maisin, 6-3, 7-5, at the No.3 slot to give the Red Storm a 3-0 lead in the match. The Bearcats took the match at court six before freshman Robert Livi clinched the match at fourth singles with a 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 victory.
St. John’s will be back in action on Sunday, April 13 when the Red Storm takes on Niagara at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center at 9 a.m. To keep up with the St. John’s men’s tennis team this season, follow the team on Facebook and Twitter. Use the hashtag #SJUMT to join the conversation.
#70 St. John's 5, Binghamton 2
1. R.J. Del Nunzio (SJU) def. Sid Hazarika (BING) 7-5, 2-6, 7-5
2. Erick Reyes (SJU) def. Robin Lesage (BING) 6-3, 6-1
3. Vaidik Munshaw (SJU) def. Alexander Maisin (BING) 6-3, 7-5
4. Robert Livi (SJU) def. Eliott Hureau (BING) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
5. Ismael Dinia (BING) def. Freddy Ruiz Acevedo (SJU) 7-5, 6-2
6. Florian van Kann (BING) def. Gary Kushnirovich (SJU) 7-5, 6-0
1. #77 R.J. Del Nunzio/Erick Reyes (SJU) def. Alexander Maisin/Aswin Nambi (BING) 8-6
2. Robert Livi/Michael-John Every (SJU) def. Eliott Hureau/Janik Burri (BING) 8-1
3. Sid Hazarika/Ismael Dinia (BING) vs. #58 Vaidik Munshaw/Freddy Ruiz Acevedo (SJU) 7-5, unfinished
St. John's 12-7, 2-0 BIG EAST; National ranking #70
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (2,3,6,5,4,1)