April 13, 2014
FLUSHING MEADOWS, N.Y. – Junior Erick Reyes led No. 70 St. John’s with a win in doubles and the match clincher in singles to give the Red Storm a 5-2 victory over Niagara on Sunday morning at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center that marked win No. 150 for head coach Eric Rebhuhn.
Reyes and doubles partner R.J. Del Nunzio, the No. 77 ranked duo in the nation, gave the Red Storm (13-7, 2-0 BIG EAST) the doubles point with 8-5 win at the top doubles slot. St. John’s has now claimed the doubles point in seven-straight matches, SJU has gone 5-2 over the seven-match span.
In singles, senior Gary Kushnirovich posted a convincing, 6-0, 6-1, win at sixth singles to extend the Red Storm lead. Del Nunzio followed with a straight set victory of his own to make it 3-0 before Reyes’ 6-1, 6-2 clincher at the No. 2 slot.
This year’s squad is the 10th in the Rebhuhn era to reach double-digits in the win column. Since taking over the program in 2001, Rebhuhn has led St. John’s men’s tennis to its first national ranking in program history in 2010-11 and was honored with the 2011 BIG EAST Coach of the Year award.
St. John’s will next await its first round opponent in the BIG EAST Tennis Championship held at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows, N.Y. from April 24-27. To keep up with the St. John’s men’s tennis team this season, follow the team on Facebook and Twitter. Use the hashtag #SJUMT to join the conversation.
#70 St. John's 5, Niagara University 2
1. R.J. Del Nunzio (SJU) def. Elortegui, Michael (NIA) 6-0, 6-2
2. Erick Reyes (SJU) def. Belloso, Inaki (NIA) 6-1, 6-2
3. Robert Livi (SJU) def. Raymond, David (NIA) 7-6 (8-6), 6-4
4. Dufour-Coursol, O. (NIA) def. Freddy Ruiz Acevedo (SJU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. Schwojer, Lorenz (NIA) def. Michael-John Every (SJU) 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
6. Gary Kushnirovich (SJU) def. Lacasse, Mathieu (NIA) 6-0, 6-1
1. #77 R.J. Del Nunzio/Erick Reyes (SJU) def. Belloso, Inaki/Elortegui, Michael (NIA) 8-5
2. Raymond, David/Dufour-Coursol, O. (NIA) def. Robert Livi/Michael-John Every (SJU) 8-2
3. Freddy Ruiz Acevedo/Gary Kushnirovich (SJU) def. Schwojer, Lorenz/Lacasse, Mathieu (NIA) 8-1
Niagara University 11-10
St. John's 13-7; National ranking #70
Order of finish: Singles (6,1,2,5,4,3)