Red Storm Topped By No. 14 Florida, 4-0, To Conclude Historic Season|
May 10, 2014
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Playing in its first NCAA Tournament in the history of the program, the St. John’s men’s tennis team could not get past 14th-seeded Florida, the host squad, as the Gators defeated the Red Storm, 4-0, in Gainesville, Fla. on Saturday afternoon.
SJU (16-8, 2-0 BIG EAST), who hadn’t dropped a doubles point since March 22 against Cornell, was stifled as the Gators won the matches at first and second doubles to take the point and the early advantage in the match.
After Florida tallied wins on courts 4 and 6 to take a commanding 3-0 lead, junior Erick Reyes, the 2014 BIG EAST Tournament’s Most Outstanding Player, won his first set at second singles, 6-1, against the Gators’ Gordon Watson. But it was not enough as freshman Robert Livi could not hold on at the No.5 slot against Elliott Orkin, whose 6-4, 6-2 win clinched the match for the Gators.
One year removed from a 5-15 campaign, St. John’s accomplished a season-high ITA Ranking of 62, won its first BIG EAST Championship in 23 years and captured an NCAA Tournament berth. The Red Storm took home multiple postseason honors as three student-athletes and head coach Eric Rebhuhn were recognized by the conference. Reyes, Livi and sophomore Vaidik Munshaw earned All-BIG EAST honors, while Livi was also named BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and Rebhuhn was tabbed as the BIG EAST Coach of the Year.
To keep up with the St. John’s men’s tennis during the offseason, follow the team on Facebook and Twitter. Use the hashtag #SJUMT to join the conversation.
#15 Florida 4, #70 St. John's 0
1. #51 Florent Diep (UF) vs. R.J. Del Nunzio (SJU) 6-1, 5-3, unfinished
2. #108 Gordon Watson (UF) vs. Erick Reyes (SJU) 1-6, 4-4, unfinished
3. Maxx Lipman (UF) vs. Lucas Hejhal (SJU) 6-2, 3-3, unfinished
4. Diego Hidalgo (UF) def. Vaidik Munshaw (SJU) 6-0, 6-0
5. #98 Elliott Orkin (UF) def. Robert Livi (SJU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Mike Alford (UF) def. Freddy Ruiz Acevedo (SJU) 6-0, 6-1
1. #20 Florent Diep/Gordon Watson (UF) def. #78 Vaidik Munshaw/Lucas Hejhal (SJU) 8-3
2. Elliott Orkin/Maxx Lipman (UF) vs. #74 Erick Reyes/R.J. Del Nunzio (SJU) 7-4, unfinished
3. Mike Alford/Diego Hidalgo (UF) def. Michael-John Every/Robert Livi (SJU) 8-2
St. John's 16-8, 2-0 BIG EAST; National ranking #70
Florida 15-9, 8-4 SEC; National ranking #15
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (4,6,5)