Jan. 21, 2013
TAMPA, Fla. – Coming off one of the best spring seasons in program history and a successful fall campaign, the No. 57 St. John's men's tennis team fell to No. 51 USF, 7-0, in a battle of ranked BIG EAST squads on Monday in Tampa.
After seniors Mike Lampa and Valentin Mihai tied things up in doubles competition by defeating Guillermo Vilchez and Ravi Patel, 8-7(4), Oliver Pramming and Ignacio Gonzalez-Muniz slipped by senior Vasko Mladenov and sophomore Hugo Morth, 8-7(5), to take the point.
The Bulls then went on to take six straight singles matches that sealed the victory, avenging last year’s 5-2 loss to the Red Storm at the National Tennis Center.
St. John’s will now travel across the Sunshine State to take on the Hatters of Stetson University on Thursday, Jan. 24, at 1 p.m.
To stay up to date with everything St. John’s tennis this season be sure to track the squad on Twitter by following @STJ_tennis and by “liking” the new St. John’s Men’s Tennis page on Facebook.
1. Pramming/Gonzalez-Muniz (USF) def. Vasko Maldenov/Hugo Morth, 8-7 (5)
2. Mike Lampa/Valentin Mihai (STJ) def. de Vilchez/Patel, 8-7 (4)
3. Acuna Gerard/Dzib (USF) def. Mark Mozer/Michael-John Every, 8-5
1. Pramming (USF) def. Valentin Mihai, 6-4, 6-3
2. Sabogal (USF) def. Vasko Maldenov, 4-2 (retired)
3. Gonzalez-Muniz (USF) def. Mike Lampa, 6-4, 6-4
4. de Vilchez (USF) def. Mark Mozer, 6-4, 6-3
5. Patel (USF) def. Michael-John Every, 6-1, 6-0
6. Dzib (USF) def. Hugo Morth, 7-5, 2-6 (8)
No. 51 USF (2-0, 1-0)
No. 57 St. John’s (0-1, 0-1)