Jonath Nicholas was named assistant coach for women's basketball at St. John's in June 2004, and in his three years has helped lead the team to some of its most successful seasons in recent memory.
As a member of head coach Kim Barnes Arico's staff, Nicholas' responsibilities with the Red Storm include recruiting, scouting and guard player development, as well as assisting the staff with game preparation and game coaching.
A native of Brooklyn, N.Y., Nicholas returned to the area after two seasons at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, where he was responsible for the Lady Blazers' guard development, recruiting efforts and video coordination.
Prior to his time at UAB, Nicholas was the Associate Head Coach and recruiting coordinator at Southwestern Community College in San Diego, Calif., from 1988-99. While at SCC, he helped develop 10 Junior College All-Americans and 16 players who went on to play Division I basketball.
Nicholas was a standout member of the UAB Blazers men's basketball team from 1980-82, playing under head coach Gene Bartow. As a junior, his team advanced to the Sweet Sixteen. The following year, he helped his team to a 25-6 overall record and an appearance in the NCAA Elite Eight. He currently sits on the Blazers' all-time Top 10 list in free throw percentage. Prior to UAB, he played for two seasons at Mesa Community College, where he set the single season and single game scoring records, which stand to this day.
He completed his bachelor's degree in physical education at Trinity University in 1997. Nicholas and his wife, Roz Ervin, have two sons, Branden and Courtney
- Women's Basketball: WNIT Press Conference: St. John's 62, Harvard 57 (Mar. 19, 2017)
- Women's Basketball: WNIT Highlights: St. John's 62, Sacred Heart 57 (Mar. 19, 2017)
- Women's Basketball: WNIT Press Conference: St. John's 72, Sacred Heart 43 (Mar. 17, 2017)
- Women's Basketball: WNIT Highlights: St. John's 72, Sacred Heart 43 (Mar. 17, 2017)
- Women's Basketball: Press Conference: St. John's 56, Villanova 40