Jan. 2, 2013
Box Score |
QUEENS, N.Y. -
- The Red Storm outscored Delaware in the paint 26-22, 17-10 off turnovers, 17-15 on second-chance points and 6-2 on fast break points.
- The Red Storm held Delaware to just six field goals in the second half. This marked the second time in as many games, STJ has held an opponent to six field goals in a half. Delaware went 6-for-26 (.231) in the second half.
- The Red Storm attempted a season-high 28 free throws, making a season-high 19 of them. The previous high for free throws made was 17, set against Hofstra (Nov. 17) and the previous high of 26 free throw attempts was also set against Hofstra (Nov. 17).
- St. John’s set a season-high with 14 steals, breaking its previous high of 13 set against Hofstra (Nov. 17).
- Wednesday’s 60-59 loss was St. John’s second one-point overtime loss this season. St. John’s lost to then-No. 16/17 UCLA on the final possession in the St. John’s Chartwells Holiday Classic on Dec. 16, 53-52.
- The game against Delaware was the second time this season the Red Storm had four players score in double figures. The last time was against Quinnipiac (Dec. 22).
- St. John’s played its second-straight game without starting forward junior Mary Nwachukwu, who sat out due to a minor right leg injury.
- Senior guard Nadirah McKenith scored 12 points, grabbed eight rebounds, dished out five assists and had four steals. The game marked the sixth time this season and 58th time in McKenith’s career she dished out five or more assists in a game. McKenith’s four steals give her 235 for her career, moving her into fourth place all-time ahead of Janet Roos who tallied 233 steals from 1982-1985.
- Rookie guard Aliyyah Handford scored a career-high and team-high 16 points, tied a career-high with seven rebounds and added three steals and four assists. Since being inserted into the starting lineup against Duke (12/9), Handford is averaging 8.7 points per game and 5.2 rebounds per game over six games.
- Senior guard Shenneika Smith scored 14 points and grabbed six rebounds. The contest marked the eighth time this season and 80th time in Smith’s career she scored in double-figures.
- Smith’s 684 career rebounds are sixth-most in the St. John’s all-time record book.
- Junior guard Briana Brown scored 11 points and grabbed eight points in 41 minutes. Brown’s 11 points marked her highest total since scoring 15 against Iona (Nov. 21). Brown has scored in double-figures six times this season and seven times in her St. John’s career. Brown also added her first blocked shot of her career in the affair.
- Freshman forward Amber Thompson scored four points and tied a season-high with 11 rebounds. Thompson also grabbed 11 rebounds in the Red Storm’s last game against NJIT (Dec. 28).