Defense Drives St. John's Past Georgetown, 64-41

Jan. 12, 2018

Final Stats | Photo Gallery | Highlights | Postgame Press Conference | Quotes

QUEENS, N.Y. - Facing a long-time BIG EAST rival on a Friday night, the St. John’s women’s basketball turned in its best effort of the season on the defensive end, rolling past Georgetown, 64-41, at Carnesecca Arena.

“I thought it was a great effort for us again coming off a quick turnaround," said St. John's head coach Joe Tartamella. "It’s been a crazy week in a half with everything we have been going through and being on the road and getting back while having short prep. Just really proud of the way we have been executing game plans without really getting out on the floor and practicing."

Qadashah Hoppie led the way for the Johnnies (11-7, 4-3 BIG EAST) with 15 points on 4-of-9 shooting from the field. The freshman has now scored in double figures in six of her last seven games.

Three other players reached the 10-point plateau for the Red Storm, as Alisha Kebbe (12), Andrayah Adams (12), and Maya Singleton (11) all eclipsed the mark in the team’s eight-consecutive victory over the Hoyas (7-9, 2-4 BIG EAST).

Singleton continued her double-double conquest by picking up her 12th in just 18 tries this season. The Indian Head, Md., native finished the night with 14 rebounds and an assist to go along with the aforementioned 11 points. Singleton, who did not record a point in the first half for the second-straight game, dominated over the final 20 minutes to secure the double-double.  

Tiana England put together another stat-stuffing performance, scoring seven points, grabbing five rebounds, dishing out five assists, and recording a steal.

After allowing the game’s first two points, St. John’s used a pair of threes from Hoppie and England to spark an early 8-0 run. The two-point Georgetown advantage proved to be the lone deficit of the night for the Johnnies, as the home side never again relinquished the lead.

Georgetown closed the gap to 8-6 before the Johnnies converted their next three field goals to build a 12-6 lead and force a Hoya timeout. The run was highlighted by a no-look pass from England to a cutting Imani Littleton, who scored the basket and forced the stoppage.

Defense continued to anchor the Johnnies throughout the first quarter, as the Red Storm held the Hoyas without a point for the final 5:11 of the period to build a 17-6 lead.

The 11-point advantage was the largest for the Red Storm after a single quarter this season, and marked the third time that the Johnnies have allowed six points or fewer in a stanza.

Georgetown climbed back into the game with a 9-0 run of its own to begin the second frame, playing stout defense and getting to the free throw line to cut the lead to two, 17-15.

St. John’s dry spell ended when Adams broke the scoreless drought at the 5:21 mark of the period with a 3-pointer from the wing to bump the lead to five, 20-15.

After the Hoyas cut the deficit to a pair the Johnnies once again cranked up the defense by holding GU without a point for the final 4:16 of the half.  During that stretch, the Red Storm used a 13-0 offensive spurt to build a 33-18 lead heading into the locker room.

Adams continued her hot quarter with seven points in the final minutes of the opening 20 to give the Minneapolis native 12 points on 5-of-9 shooting, including a pair of threes.

The Red Storm held the Hoyas to 7-of-30 (23.3%) from the field, including 0-for-5 from beyond the arc, in the first half, and also forced nine turnovers.

Despite failing to score in the opening half, Singleton was still a force on the glass. The senior recorded seven rebounds and picked up an assist.

St. John’s extended its lead to 17, 40-23, midway through the third quarter thanks to Kebbe scoring four points on a pair of tough baskets inside.

Scrappiness defined the third quarter with both teams getting physical as the period wore on. In the final minute of the quarter, players from both sides were assessed a technical foul while an additional Georgetown player was ejected for leaving the bench.

After only getting to the free throw line four times in the first half, St. John’s worked its way to the line six times in the third period to help build a 46-29 lead after 30 minutes.

Akina Wellere, who missed the previous three games with an injury, scored her first basket in return with a nice drive and finish on a layup to open the scoring in the fourth quarter.

Singleton cemented her double-double midway through the final period with a great hesitation move that led to a layup plus the foul to give the senior 11 points in the contest.

With her team leading by 20, Shamachya Duncan brought the Carnesecca crowd to its feet with a triple from the elbow for her first basket since the season opener against St. Francis Brooklyn and gave the Johnnies a 61-38 lead.

Kebbe put the finishing touches on the resounding victory with another 3-pointer as the Red Storm closed out the 64-41 victory.

St. John’s will go for its fifth-consecutive victory on Sunday when the Johnnies host Villanova at 2 p.m.




  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago
ST.JOHN'S OFFICIAL STORE St. John's Official Store
Big East logo and link Home I M G logo and link Home N C A A logo and link Home St. John's University logo and link Home