Jan. 28, 2012
Box Score |
Photo Gallery 1 |
Photo Gallery 2
- It was No. 2 Notre Dame’s fifth-smallest margin of victory this season. The four other victories came against top-10 teams (No. 1 Baylor, No. 2 Connecticut, No. 7/6 Duke, No. 8/7 Kentucky).
- The Red Storm outscored the Fighting Irish, 33-28, in the second half. Notre Dame has been outscored in a half only five times this season – No. 1/1 Baylor (both halves), No. 7/6 Duke (first half), Creighton (second half), No. 18/17 Georgetown (second half).
- St. John’s forced Notre Dame to turn the ball over 19 times while committing just 17 turnovers themselves – just the fourth time this season the Fighting Irish committed more turnovers than their opponents.
- The Red Storm opened the second half on a 13-4 run over first 7:10 minutes.
- Before today, Notre Dame outscored its opponents by a 20.8-point margin at the half and by 34.8 points per game. The gap between St. John’s and Notre Dame was 15 points.
- St. John’s trailed Notre Dame by 20 at the half, but cut the deficit to 15 by the end of the game.
- Prior to this game, St. John’s had a 10-game home winning streak – a stretch that dated back to the home opener against St. Bonaventure on Nov. 12.
- The Red Storm is now 2-3 against top-25 opponents and 2-1 against top-25 opponents at home. St. John’s is 5-5 against teams from the 2010-11 NCAA Tournament field.
- St. John’s has now played the No. 1 and No. 2 teams this season. In both games, the Red Storm has outscored their opponent in at least one half.
- The Red Storm is 9-1 when it scores 60 or more points and 4-7 when it scores 59 or less.
- Redshirt sophomore Mary Nwachukwu had four blocks today – breaking her previous career-high of two.
- Senior Tesia Harris shot 2-for-3 from behind the arc. Before today’s game, her last three-pointer came against Prairie View on Dec. 17.
- Junior Eugeneia McPherson collected four steals today. She leads the Red Storm in steals (44) and is now averaging 2.1 per game.
- Junior Shenneika Smith has now reached double-digit points in 10 consecutive games.