St. John's 65, No. 3/2 UConn 71 - Feb. 2, 2013|
Feb. 2, 2013
QUEENS, NY -
- Freshman guard Aliyyah Handford set a career-high with 17 points on 8-for-20 shooting, also a career-high. Handford’s previous career-high was 16, set against Delaware (Jan. 2) and Louisville (Jan. 27).
- Junior guard Briana Brown set a career-high with four 3-pointers made and scored 16 points in the contest. Brown is averaging 17.0 points per game in the last two games. Her previous career-high was three, set against Texas (Nov. 9).
- Senior guard Shenneika Smith scored 21 points, blocked four shots, grabbed two rebounds, dished out two assists and had two steals. The affair marked the eighth time this season and 15th time in her career Smith scored 20 or more points. Smith has now scored 20+ points in three-straight games. With 21 points, Smith passed Kia Wright (2004-2008) for fourth-most career points. Her 1,543 career points are 196 shy of Cozette Ballentine’s 1,739 career points which rank third all-time.
- Handford, Brown and Smith combined for 83% (54) of the Red Storm’s 65 points.
- Senior guard Nadirah McKenith tied a season-high dishing out eight assists for the third times in four games. McKenith’s 541 career assists are the most all-time in St. John’s women’s basketball history.
- Sophomore forward Amber Thompson grabbed eight rebounds and scored four points, upping her average to 6.35 rebounds per game this season.
- The Red Storm’s 65 points are nearly 20 points more than the average of 46.5 points per game the Huskies have allowed this season and the second most scored by a UConn opponent. The only team to score more against UConn this season is Notre Dame who defeated UConn 73-72 (Jan. 5).
- St. John’s outscored UConn 12-6 on second-chance points and 8-7 on fastbreak points.
- The six-point loss for the Red Storm marks the smallest margin of victory for the 21-1 No. 3/2 Huskies on the season.
- St. John’s held to UConn to 26.1% shooting (6-for-23) from 3-point range, 10% below the Huskies season average of 36%.
- St. John’s five 3-pointers made are the most for the team since hitting 5-of-12 against Seton Hall (Jan. 12). The Red Storm shot 100-percent (4-for-4) from behind the arc in the first half, most the team has made in a half this season.
- Women's Basketball: Meet SJUWBB's Newcomers
- Women's Basketball: Five Year Highlight
- Women's Basketball: WNIT Press Conference: St. John's 62, Harvard 57 (Mar. 19, 2017)
- Women's Basketball: WNIT Highlights: St. John's 62, Sacred Heart 57 (Mar. 19, 2017)
- Women's Basketball: WNIT Press Conference: St. John's 72, Sacred Heart 43 (Mar. 17, 2017)