St. John's Falls to Marquette, 76-57, on Senior Day

Feb. 25, 2018

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery  | Postgame Quotes |  

QUEENS, N.Y. - Playing in front of its home crowd for the last time during the 2017-18 regular season, the St. John’s women’s basketball team fell to Marquette, 76-57, at Carnesecca Arena on Sunday afternoon.

Three St. John’s seniors playing in their final regular season home game were honored prior to the game: Tamesha “Sox” Alexander, Imani Littleton, and Maya Singleton

Singleton and Andrayah Adams fueled the offense for St. John’s, putting up 11 points apiece. Singleton fell just shy of recording her 17tth double-double with a team best seven rebounds on the day.

Littleton produced for the Johnnies in her final regular season outing at Carnesecca Arena, tallying nine points.  The San Diego native also grabbed five rebounds, dished out a pair of assists, and recorded one block.  With that rejection, the senior forward moved up to ninth on the all-time blocks list at St. John’s with a career total of 92.

The two teams traded buckets over the first few minutes before the Golden Eagles embarked on a 6-0 run. Singleton put that to bed with a jumper, but Marquette continued to produce offensively closing out the first 10 minutes of play with a nine point lead, 19-10. Singleton paced the Johnnies over the opening frame, tallying a team-high six points.

Qadashah Hoppie wasted no time getting on the board in the second quarter with an old fashion drive to the glass in the opening seconds of play. After whittling the Marquette lead down to six, 24-18,  on a Singleton jumper with 5:53 to go in the quarter, the Johnnies saw the Golden Eagles rattle off a 7-0 run and pull ahead by 13, 31-18, just over a minute later.

Following a media timeout, the Johnnies clicked, holding Marquette scoreless for more than three minutes and pulling within seven, 31-24, with a minute and a half to go.  The Golden Eagles, however, scored five of the half’s final six points to take a 36-25 lead into the locker room.

On the other side of the break, St. John’s came out firing early.  After a quiet first half for Alisha Kebbe, the sophomore guard found her grove early, draining a shot from beyond the arc in the opening seconds. The flame quickly burnt out for the Red Storm, as the Golden Eagles took off on a 10-0 run to open up an 18-point lead.  The Johnnies held Marquette scoreless for nearly four minutes after the run, but added just three points of their own in the meantime.

Entering the final frame with an 18-point deficit, the Johnnies shaved the Marquette lead down to 12, 62-50, just inside the midway mark of the period, but the Golden Eagles responded with a 6-0 run to put the Red Storm’s hopes of a comeback to bed.

St. John’s, the five seed in next week’s BIG EAST Tournament, will be back in action on Sunday March 4, when they face off against No. 4 Creighton in the quarterfinals of the BIG EAST Tournament at Wintrust Arena in Chicago. Tip-off is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. ET with the live national broadcast airing on FS2.




  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago
ST.JOHN'S OFFICIAL STORE St. John's Official Store
Big East logo and link Home I M G logo and link Home N C A A logo and link Home St. John's University logo and link Home