St. John's Falls to Marquette, 74-72, in BIG EAST Opener

Dec. 29, 2017

Box Score (PDF)

MILWAUKEE - After going into overtime for the third time in the team's last four opportunities, the St. John's women's basketball squad fell to Marquette, the reigning BIG EAST champions, 74-72, at the Al McGuire Center on Thursday night. 

Sophomore Alisha Kebbe led the way for St. John's, putting up a team-high 16 points on 7-of-13 shooting from the field. The Philadelphia native was also 2-for-6 from beyond the arc, grabbed six rebounds and had four steals against the Golden Eagles. 

Qadashah Hoppie and Andrayah Adams each chipped in 13 points for the Red Storm, while Imani Littleton netted seven points to go along with a team-high four blocks.

The Johnnies wreaked havoc on the Golden Eagles defensively, forcing 27 turnovers.

With the two squads tied at 16 after 10 minutes of play, the second quarter saw Marquette limit the Red Storm to just nine points, as the home side took a 33-25 lead into the intermission.

After falling behind by as many as 13 near the midway mark of the third quarter, the Red Storm battled back over the remainder of the period, using a 15-5 run to move within three, 53-50, before an Allazia Blockton jumper gave the Golden Eagles a five-point advantage heading into the final 10 minutes of regulation.

The Golden Eagles quickly built their lead back to double digits after three minutes of play in the final stanza, but the Red Storm was far from finished.  In the span of just over a minute, Adams drained a three-ball before Littleton made two-consecutive layups, capping a 7-0 run and pulling the Johnnies within three, 62-59, with 5:18 to play.

The Red Storm would shave the deficit down to one on a pair of occasions over the next few minutes before Adams tied the game at 67 on a jumper in the paint with 1:46 on the clock, knotting the score for the first time in nearly 30 minutes.

The defenses held strong over the remainder of regulation, and the Red Storm was heading to overtime once again. 

Marquette began the extra frame with a 5-0 run, but the Johnnies battled back once again.  Maya Singleton knocked down a jumper from Akina Wellere before a Littleton and-one on the next possession made it 72-72 with just under two minutes to play.  Following a pair of Marquette free throws on the ensuing possession, the teams held each other scoreless for the remainder of the contest, allowing the Golden Eagles to escape with a 74-72 victory.

The Johnnies will return to action on Saturday when they take on DePaul in Chicago before returning home to host Providence (Jan 2) and Creighton (Jan 5).




  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago
ST.JOHN'S OFFICIAL STORE St. John's Official Store
Big East logo and link Home I M G logo and link Home N C A A logo and link Home St. John's University logo and link Home