Akina Wellere Lands on BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll|
Jan. 23, 2017
BIG EAST Release
In the Red Storm’s last outing, Wellere matched a career-high with 20 points on 8-of-13 shooting in a 60-50 win over Providence on Sunday. The sophomore also brought down a pair of rebounds and recorded one assist.
On Friday, Wellere chipped in nine points, grabbed four rebounds and dished out two assists against the Bluejays.
In addition to her shooting percentage, Wellere was a perfect 4-for-4 from the free throw line and currently ranks in the top 15 in the country and sits atop the BIG EAST in free throw percentage, knocking down 90.7 percent (49-of-54) of her attempts from the charity stripe.
From behind the arc, the Chicago, Ill., native went 3-for-4 last week and owns the best three point field goal percentage in the conference, sinking shots from long distance at a 51.7 percent clip.
Wellere previously earned a spot on the BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll on Dec. 12 after scoring 19 points on 6-of-7 shooting from three point territory in a 65-39 win over Rutgers.
The Red Storm returns to action on Friday when St. John’s hosts Butler at 7 p.m. at Carnesecca Arena.
- Women's Basketball: Press Conference: St. John's 65, Duquesne 52
- Women's Basketball: WNIT Highlights: St. John's 65, Duquesne 52
- Women's Basketball: Press Conference: St. John's 53, Penn 48
- Women's Basketball: Highlights: St. John's 53, Penn 48
- Women's Basketball: Press Conference: St. John's 68, Marist 47