Akina Wellere Named to BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll|
Feb. 13, 2017
BIG EAST Release
The sophomore averaged 17.5 points on 56.0 percent shooting in the two games last week. Wellere was also hot from behind the arc, knocking down five of her eight attempts from long distance. Additionally, Wellere chipped in on the glass, bringing down 4.5 rebounds per game.
Wellere opened the weekend on Friday with a 16-point game against Villanova, draining seven of her 14 tries from the field. Wellere also grabbed four rebounds as the Red Storm fell to the Wildcats, 67-56.
On Sunday, Wellere scored a team-high 19 points, one shy of her career-best. The Chicago, Ill., native shot 7-for-11 from the field and was 4-for-6 from behind the arc in the Johnnies’ 65-54 win over visiting Georgetown.
St. John’s returns to the hardwood on Friday night, traveling to Providence, R.I., for a clash with the Providence Friars. The opening tip is scheduled for 7 p.m. on the BIG EAST Digital Network.
- Women's Basketball: Press Conference: St. John's 65, Georgetown 54
- Women's Basketball: Postgame Hit: St. John's 65, Georgetown 54
- Women's Basketball: Press Conference: Villanova 66, St. John's 56
- Women's Basketball: Highlights: St. John's 82, Marquette 72
- Women's Basketball: Postgame Hit: St. John's 64, Xavier 55