#3 UCONN WOMEN ROUT RED STORM, 118-44|
STORRS, CONN. - Senior Christine Rigby scored a game-high 21 points to lead the No. 3-ranked Connecticut Huskies to a lop-sided 118-44 victory over the St. John's University Red Storm Friday evening on Senior Day in Gampel Pavilion.
The Red Storm fall to 8-18 overall and 3-12 in the BIG EAST, while the Huskies improve to 24-2 and 14-1 in the league.
Arguably the most successful senior class in Connecticut women's basketball history, the four seniors, Kelly Schumacher, Shea Ralph, Marci Czel and Rigby, combined for 61 points on a very emotional night in front of a sellout crowd of 10,027.
Ten of the Red Storm's 17 baskets were three-pointers. Senior Latasha Thompson (Newark, N.J.) led the Red Storm scoring with 15 points, all of which came in the first half. Thompson now holds down 11th place on the all-time scoring list at St. John's with 1,033 career points. She is 10 points shy of tying Dottie Giordano for 10th place (1,043).
St. John's will close out the regular season on Tuesday, February 27, when they host Virginia Tech at 7:30 in Alumni Hall. The Red Storm will celebrate their Senior Day on Tuesday, recognizing five seniors, Crystal Bowen, Eukeisha Iton, Katrina Johns, Tynisha Myles and Latasha Thompson.
- Women's Basketball: WNIT Press Conference: St. John's 62, Harvard 57 (Mar. 19, 2017)
- Women's Basketball: WNIT Highlights: St. John's 62, Sacred Heart 57 (Mar. 19, 2017)
- Women's Basketball: WNIT Press Conference: St. John's 72, Sacred Heart 43 (Mar. 17, 2017)
- Women's Basketball: WNIT Highlights: St. John's 72, Sacred Heart 43 (Mar. 17, 2017)
- Women's Basketball: Press Conference: St. John's 56, Villanova 40