March 15, 2010
Pep Rally Photo Gallery
Pep Rally Interview (Video)
St. John's NCAA Tournament Central
Watch Live On ESPN360.com
Watch Selection Show Reactions From St. John's (FREE)
QUEENS, N.Y. - In a season filled with milestones, the No. 15/17 St. John's women's basketball team added another to the list as it earned an at-large bid to the 2010 NCAA Tournament. The Red Storm earned the No. 6 seed in the Dayton Region and will face Ivy League champion Princeton on Saturday in Tallahassee, Fla.
• The game will be televised live on ESPN2. Jon Sciambi will be calling the action and Abby Waner will provide the color commentary. The game will also be available on ESPN360.com.
Highest Seed In History
• With the No. 6 seed in the Dayton Region of the 2010 NCAA Tournament, the Red Storm has earned its highest seeding in history. In the previous four appearances in the NCAA Tournament, STJ was a No. 7 seed.
• The Red Storm owns a 3-0 record against Princeton. The last meeting between the teams was a 78-67 win for St. John's on Jan. 27, 1982.
Scouting The Tigers
• Princeton enters the NCAA Tournament with a 26-2 mark and a 21-game winning streak. The Tigers posted a perfect 14-0 conference mark en route to the Ivy League championship. Four players are averaging double digits in scoring. Niveen Rasheed leads the team in scoring and rebounding, nearly averaging a double-double with 15.6 points and 8.8 rebounds.
All-Time In NCAA Tournament Action
• This year's appearance in the NCAA Tournament marks the fifth all-time for the Red Storm and the second for Kim Barnes Arico at STJ. St. John's has made two appearances in the second round, and has posted a 2-4 mark in NCAA Tournament action all-time.
• The last appearance for STJ was during the 2005-06 campaign, which marked the first NCAA Tournament appearance in nearly 20 years. St. John's opened the tournament with a 78-68 win over California and then lost a close contest to eventual national champion Maryland, 81-74, in the second round.
Most Wins In 26 Years
• With a 24-6 record, the Red Storm has recorded its most victories in 26 years. The last time STJ had 24 wins was during the 1983-84 campaign when the team finished with a 24-6 mark and made an appearance in the NCAA Tournament. The 24 wins are a program high for eighth-year head coach Kim Barnes Arico, surpassing her previous best of 22 in 2005-06.
Big Time In The BIG EAST Tournament
• Shenneika Smith had a stellar performance in her first BIG EAST Championship game, scoring a game-high 23 points against Notre Dame on March 7 in quarterfinal action. The rookie recorded 16 points in the opening frame en route to tying her second-highest scoring effort of the year. The Brooklyn, N.Y., native was 10-of-16 from the field and 3-of-4 from the free throw line.
• Kelly McManmon was nearly perfect from beyond the arc in the BIG EAST Championship quarterfinal game against Notre Dame on March 7. The senior finished the game 4-of-5 from long distance for 12 points. The game was the 13th double-digit scoring game of the year for McManmon.
• Nadirah McKenith came close to posting her third double-double of the year in the BIG EAST Championship quarterfinal game against Notre Dame on March 7. The rookie scored 10 points and posted nine assists, which would have been her first double-double other than points and rebounds.