Oct. 7, 2013
QUEENS, N.Y. - The St. John's women's basketball team will hold walk-on tryouts for the upcoming 2013-14 season on Friday, October 25 at 6:30 a.m. in Taffner Field House.
Prior to trying out, all potential walk-on athletes must attend the mandatory NCAA Compliance meeting on Wednesday, Oct. 16 at 10 a.m. in the conference room on the second floor of Taffner Field House. As per NCAA rules, potential walk-ons may not miss class for this meeting. Each potential walk-on also must ensure the following:
- Your class schedule must not conflict with practices. Practices are usually midday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. You must be available 30 minutes prior to practice. As per NCAA rules, you may not miss class to try-out or practice with a team.
- You must be registered as a full-time student (minimum of 12 credit hours) pursuing a bachelor's degree on the St. John's University.
- All walk-ons must be registered with the NCAA Eligibility Center.
- You must attend the mandatory compliance meeting on Wednesday, Oct. 16 at 10 a.m. in the Taffner Field House conference room. At this meeting each prospective walk-on will complete required NCAA compliance paperwork.
- You must bring a current health insurance card and St. John's University medical forms (links above) to Jessica Mateer, MS ATC, Assistant Athletic Trainer, in Taffner Field House Room 110. No doctor's notes will be accepted. Please note, University Health Services requires a 48-hour lead time to process physical examination forms. You must have had a physical within the last six months. Once the athletic trainer signs the Compliance/Medical approval form, you must bring this signed form to the Compliance Office located in Carnesecca Arena, Room 206.
For more information, please contact Seja Gamble, St. John's women's basketball graduate assistant, at 718-990-7517 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keep up to date on all St. John's women's basketball news by following St. John's women's basketball (@StJohnsWBB) and head coach Joe Tartamella (@SJUCoachT) on Twitter!