Nov. 22, 2011
(nr/rv) St. John's vs. Wagner
Tuesday, Nov. 22
Carnesecca Arena (5,602)
QUEENS, N.Y. - St. John's will host Wagner on Tuesday as part of the first women's and men's basketball doubleheader of the season. The Red Storm and Seahawks will tip off at 6 p.m., airing live ESPN3. The men's team will play St. Francis in the second inter-borough match up for the night at 9 p.m.
Tip Off Quick Hits
• The contest is the first for St. John's against a fellow New York City school this season. In Tuesday's Battle Of The Boroughs, the Queens-Staten Island edition, St. John's and Wagner will play each other for the first time this millennia. St. John's leads the all-time series record 12-1, 12-0 in regular season action.
• Last year, St. John's went 2-0 in the battle of the boroughs, defeating Manhattan and Columbia.
• Tuesday night's ESPN3 game will be broadcast live to approximately 70 million households nationwide through an affiliated provider - online at WatchESPN.com, on smartphones and tablets via the WatchESPN app and through ESPN on Xbox LIVE.
• Tony Luftman "The Voice of STJ-TV" and Nicole Kaczmarski will be on the call live from courtside at Carnesecca Arena. Fans call also follow the game live via GameTracker Live Stats on RedStormSports.com or follow live twitter updates via @stj_wbasketball. Red Storm fans can join the conversation by using the hashtag #stjwbb.
• Both St. John's and Wagner come into Tuesday's game with 1-2 records. St. John's will be looking to erase the memory of Friday's 93-82 loss at Hofstra, while Wagner will be attempting to do the same with its 68-65 loss at NJIT on Saturday.
• The Red Storm's offense put on a show at Hofstra, despite the loss, with Eugeneia McPherson leading the way with a season-high 22 points. St. John's has had at least one player reach the 20-point plateau in the past two games. Nadirah McKenith added 19 points and Shenneika Smithgave 18. The last time STJ scored 80 points was at USF on Feb. 16, 2011.
Red Storm vs. Seahawks
• Tuesday's contest renews an inter-borough rivalry that dates back to St. John's first-ever year of basketball. St. John's leads the all-time series record between the teams, 12-1, 12-0 in regular season play.
• St. John's and Wagner have not played each other in 12 years.
• The Red Storm and Seahawks first met on Jan. 24, 1975 in Queens. St. John's won the debut-meeting, 68-48.
• St. John's and Wagner played each other in back-to-back years from 1974-75 through 1980. The series went on a seven-year break until Nov. 26, 1988. St. John's won four-consecutive meetings from 1988-1991 before once again the series took a short break.
• The last time St. John's and Wagner met in back-to-back seasons was 1998 and 1999. St. John's won both meetings..
Coaching Match Up
• 10th-year St. John's head coach Kim Barnes Arico is 153-1256 (.548) at St. John's. She is 247-198 (.555) overall as a head coach, three victories away from the 250-win plateau.
• Wagner head coach Gela Mikalauskas is in her 18th season at the helm of the Seahawks women's basketball program. A former Wagner women's basketball star, as a head coach Mikalauskas is 215-269 (.444).
• Barnes Arico and Mikalauskas have never met head-to-head. However, Mikalauskas is 0-3 against St. John's. Previously, her Wagner teams lost 91-61 (Feb. 5, 1980), 88-72 (Nov. 26, 1988) and 78-64 (Nov. 28, 1989).
Wagner At Carnesecca
• The last time Wagner visited Queens was on Dec. 20, 1998. The Red Storm defeated the Seahawks, 75-56. St. John's is 7-0 when Wagner comes to Queens.
When Last They Met
• St. John's and Wagner last met on Dec. 11, 1999. St. John's defeated Wagner, 62-55 in Staten Island. The teams have not played each other since the dawn of the new millennia.
Against The Northeast Conference
• Under head coach Kim Barnes Arico, St. John's is 9-0 against their foes from the Northeast Conference.
• Since the 2002-03 season. St. John's has played just three opponents from the NEC, with LIU, Monmouth and Fairleigh Dickinson.
Scouting The Seahawks
• Wagner is 1-2 on the young season, dropping the season-opener at Army, 70-46, rallying back with a 66-54 victory against Columbia and losing its most recent game at NJIT, 68-65.
• The Seahawks Kelly Clark is Wagner's lone player scoring consistantly in double figures as she leads the squad with an average of 16.3 points per game. Wagner has two players who average close to double-digits in rebounding with Clark at 9.3 boards per game and Chanez Robinson close with 9.0 rebounds per game.
• On Monday, Wagner rookie Jacqui Thompson was named NEC Rookie of the Week. Thompson averages 7.7 ppg, 5.0 apg and has three steals.
On This Date In St. John's History
• During the Kim Barnes Arico Era, St. John's is 2-1 against opponents on Nov. 22.
• Last season, St. John's traveled to Jonesboro, Ark. playing Arkansas State on Nov. 22. The Red Storm defeated Arkansas State, 60-48. Da'Shena Stevens had a double-double with 19 points and 13 rebounds. Shenneika Smith also had a double-double with 18 points and 11 rebounds.
• In 2008-09, St. John's defeated Manhattan on the road. The Red Storm lost to Buffalo, 63-56 in 2002.
• Overall, St. John's is 3-3 when playing on Nov. 22.
StormTracker: Notes From Hofstra
• St. John's rallied back from a 13-point deficit in the first half to come within one, 45-44 at halftime. The rally turned into a three-point lead in the second half, but 29 points by Hofstra's Katelyn Loper and 27 from Shante Evans helped the Pride to a 93-82 victory over the Red Storm in Hempstead.
• The score changed 12 times in the contest.
• The Red Storm had three players score in double figures as Eugeneia McPherson led the trio with a season-high 22 points. Nadirah McKenith and Shenneika Smith both had near double-doubles on the night with McKenith recording 19 points and nine assists and Smith with 18 points, nine boards. The lead changed 12 times in the second half.
• McPherson knocked in 9-of-10 free throws. As a team, St. John's went 17-for-21 from the foul line (81 percent).
• Keylantra Langley added nine points for the second time this season.
• The last time St. John's scored 80 points was at USF on Feb. 16, 2011. The last time St. John's scored 80 points in a loss was against DePaul on Jan.15, 2008. The Red Storm lost 80-91 in overtime in Chicago.
• With the loss, St. John's falls to 0-2 against teams from New York this season.
Mixin' It Up
• Through three games this season, STJ has had three different combinations of starters. So far Nadirah McKenith, Eugeneia McPherson and Mary Nwachukwu are the three consistent names in the starting five.
• Rookie Amber Thompson has seen two starts, as well as junior Shenneika Smith.
STJ In The BIG EAST
• On Monday, Nov. 21, the first conference weekly report came out and junior Nadirah McKenith had her name four top 10 categories. McKenith's 16.7 ppg average has her ranked No. 10 in the BIG EAST, led by Anna Martin of DePaul and Skylar Diggins with 21.0. She is also tied with Diggins for second in the BIG EAST in assists (6.0), fourth in assist/turnover ratio (3.0) and seventh in steals (3.3).
• McKenith's 90.9 (10-for-11) performance against La Salle (Nov. 16) has her with the second-best shooting performance in the league. She holds the game record for assists (nine at Hofstra (Nov. 18)) and steals (seven vs. La Salle).
• Shenneika Smith's 13.3 ppg rates No. 21 in the conference as she is No. 20 in rebounding (6.3 rpg).
• Eugeneia McPhersonis No. 6 in minutes played with 103.
• St. John's will spend its Thanksgiving break in the Caribbean at the Junkanoo Jam, presented by Basketball Travelers Inc. The Red Storm will play against Iowa in the opening game at 1 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 25. Defending national champion Texas A&M will play Temple in the 3:15 p.m. match up. Depending on Friday's results, the Red Storm will play either Texas A&M or Temple in Saturday's championship round.
• A live webcast will be provided by Basketball Travelers.