Akina Wellere Named to BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll|
Dec. 12, 2016
BIG EAST Release
In the Red Storm’s lone game last week, Wellere was unstoppable from behind the arc. The sophomore drained six of her seven attempts from long distance, just one shy of the St. John’s single-game record of seven makes set by Kim MacMillan, who hit seven threes in a game twice during the 2003-04 season. Wellere also added two rebounds and an assist as the Johnnies cruised to their third-straight victory overall and eighth-straight against Rutgers.
On the season, Wellere’s .594 three-point field goal percentage leads the BIG EAST and the Chicago, Ill., native has hit 19 of the team’s 40 threes this season. After appearing in all 33 games as a freshman last season, Wellere has transitioned nicely into the starting lineup this year, averaging 28.7 minutes per contest. Wellere has also contributed 4.1 rebounds and 1.6 assists per game while making eight of her 10 free throw attempts.
Wellere and the Red Storm return to action on Tuesday, traveling to the Bronx to take on Fordham at Rose Hill Gym. The first tip is slated for 7 p.m.
- Women's Basketball: Press Conference: St. John's 68, Marist 47
- Women's Basketball: Highlights: St. John's 68, Marist 47
- Women's Basketball: Press Conference: Creighton 66, St. John's 58
- Women's Basketball: 2018 BIG EAST Tournament Preview
- Women's Basketball: Press Conference: DePaul 67, St. John's 54