Poulin Blanks Dartmouth As St. John's Women's Soccer Battles To Scoreless Draw

Sophomore Shelby Halasz goes up for a header against Dartmouth.

Sept. 20, 2013

QUEENS, N.Y. - The St. John's women's soccer team kept visiting Dartmouth College scoreless for 110 minutes but couldn't find the back of the net itself on its way to a goalless double-overtime draw at Belson Stadium on Friday evening.

Freshman goalkeeper Diana Poulin turned in the finest performance of her young St. John's career with a season-high 14 saves and the Red Storm outshot Dartmouth, 7-3, in the two overtime periods, but head coach Ian Stone's squad simply could not find the winner in its final non-conference game of the season despite a number of late close calls.

One of those close calls included sophomore forward Rachel Daly thumping the ball in the back of the net with five minutes remaining in regulation. However, the goal was waved off due to an offside call before the shot.

Playing in front of 659 fans at Belson Stadium, St. John's finished its non-conference slate with a 6-1-1 record, going unbeaten on its home turf while outscoring the opposition 21-2.

"We have to be better on our home field in conference," said Stone. "We are a very talented team but we have to show more desire and a better mentality about setting a tone in the game. Every opportunity that we have is important. Diana was phenomenal tonight. She just has such a presence and such composure at that age."

Poulin (6-1-1) finished the game five saves short of tying the school record of 19 saves in a single game, set by Sherry Reill on Oct. 15, 1995 against Connecticut.     

The freshman shot-stopper was immediately called into action early in the first half as Dartmouth (1-3-1) opened the game the more aggressive side. The Big Green outshot the Red Storm, 12-2, in the opening 45 minutes and hit the post with six minutes before halftime from a direct free kick.

St. John's came alive after the break, however, and very nearly opened the scoring seven minutes into the second half thanks to the hard work of senior forward Amy Marron. Working the ball deep inside the opposing box, Marron looped a shot over Big Green goalie Tatiana Saunders only to have a Dartmouth defender clear the ball off the goal line.

Senior defender Sandra Osborn was the next to try her luck after beating two defenders on her way to goal, but her low shot from the edge of the box was saved well at the near post.

Daly's disallowed goal sent the two teams into a first golden goal overtime period, by which time St. John's was enjoying the majority of the possession and the clearer goal-scoring opportunities.

Daly had a strong shot from inside the box smothered midway through the first overtime and in the second sudden death period lost her balance at the vital moment after tracking down Marron's blocked effort a few feet in front of the visitor's net.

The Red Storm's final scoring chance came off a free kick inside the final minute of play, as senior Sandra Osborn's cross into the box eventually fell to junior Georgia Kearney-Perry, but the junior's shot was wide.

Friday's game, which aired on ESPN 3, was the Red Storm's first overtime game in almost exactly a year. St. John's last played more than the regulation 90 minutes on Sept. 21, 2012 in a 1-0 double-overtime loss at Cincinnati. The Red Storm's last tie came on Oct. 7, 2012 against visiting Pittsburgh, when the score ended 2-2.

The next time St. John's takes the field will mark the opening of the new BIG EAST Conference as the Red Storm welcome Xavier to Belson Stadium next Thursday, Sept. 26 at 7 p.m. The game will be carried live on ESPN 3.




  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago
ST.JOHN'S OFFICIAL STORE St. John's Official Store
Big East logo and link Home I M G logo and link Home N C A A logo and link Home St. John's University logo and link Home