Marquette Outlasts St. John's, 1-0

Oct. 1, 2017

Final Stats | Box Score (PDF)

QUEENS, N.Y. - Despite owning a 7-4 advantage in shots on goal, the St. John’s women’s soccer team’s late rally fell just short as Marquette held on for a 1-0 victory at Belson Stadium Sunday afternoon.

Marquette’s (8-4-1, 1-2-0 BIG EAST) leading scorer, Darian Powell, gave the Golden Eagles a 1-0 advantage in the 23rd minute off a through ball from Caroline Zink. Powell took the pass and slid a shot in past Jordan Kamp for the only offense the visitors would need on the day.

Marquette outshot St. John’s (5-6-1, 1-2-0 BIG EAST), 20-14, but the Johnnies sent seven shots on goal, all of which were turned aside by Maddy Henry. Kamp made three saves in 90 minutes for the Red Storm.

Senior Shea Connors and junior Claudia Cagnina led the St. John’s offense with three shots apiece. Junior Lucy Whipp and senior Mikhaila Martinov each added a pair of tries of their own.

Marquette controlled the pace through most of the first half, sending its first shot on goal in the very first minute. Later, Powell had a shot blocked before senior midfielder Allie Moar had a shot stopped on the ensuing counter. In the eighth minute, Christina Bellero had a shot saved before the Red Storm’s back line blocked a shot in the ninth minute.

In the 13th minute, Powell seemed destined to get the Golden Eagles on the board but her header hit the post as the two sides remained scoreless.

Later, in the 23rd minute with the Red Storm looking to clear, Zink intercepted a pass and sent a one-touch through ball that found the feet of Powell. Powell collected the pass and slid a shot under a sliding Kamp and inside the left post for the score.

St. John’s looked to get even shortly following the Marquette tally as Cagnina sent a shot high in the 24th minute before having another shot stopped in the 25th minute.

Then, in the 34th minute, the Johnnies were awarded a penalty kick after senior Mariela Jacome was taken down in the box as she tried to win a ball sent in by freshman Maia Cabrera. Cabrera stepped to the spot but sent the strike high in what would be the Red Storm’s best scoring chance of the opening half.



Marquette held an 11-5 advantage in shots in the opening frame. Henry made four saves over the course of the first 45 minutes while Kamp stopped one shot. Additionally, the Golden Eagles won three corners to the Red Storm’s zero.

With St. John’s trailing 1-0 early in the second half, the Red Storm earned its first corner of the day in the 49th minute. Cabrera sent a ball into the box that found the foot of Martinov, but the senior’s shot was stopped and the Golden Eagles cleared.

Later in the match with less than 10 minutes to play, Kamp came up big to keep it a one-goal game. In the 84th minute, the Golden Eagles sent three shots towards the net. The first went wide but stayed in play before the second shot was blocked. Then, Kylie Sprecher sent a point-blank shot on goal that Kamp rejected to keep the Johnnies in the contest.

After some play in the midfield, Connors found Martinov on the right wing but the senior from Northport sent a one-touch shot high over the bar in the 85th minute.

Then, in the 86th minute, Connors connected for a strong strike of her own but it missed just wide as Henry dove to grab it just outside the cage in what would be the Red Storm’s final charge.

Following a pair of home games, the Johnnies are back on the road for back-to-back games next week. The Red Storm visits Providence on Thursday, Oct. 5 at 7 p.m. before traveling to Indianapolis, Ind., to take on Butler on Sunday, Oct. 8 for a 1 p.m. first kick.


  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago
ST.JOHN'S OFFICIAL STORE St. John's Official Store
Big East logo and link Home I M G logo and link Home N C A A logo and link Home St. John's University logo and link Home