St. John's Ties No. 6/3 Georgetown, 0-0, in 2OT

Oct. 6, 2016

Final Stats | Photo Gallery

QUEENS, N.Y. - The St. John’s women’s soccer team battled No. 6/3 Georgetown to a scoreless draw at Belson Stadium on Thursday night.

“I thought it was an excellent performance,” head coach Ian Stone said. “I’m really happy because I think we finally produced the type of game that we’re capable of. I’ll give them a lot of credit for being a resilient bunch because we were disappointed after the way we played against Marquette and for us to come out and play that way against Georgetown, I’m very proud of the effort they all brought."

The Red Storm (6-2-5, 1-1-2 BIG EAST) kept pace with the Hoyas (9-1-2, 1-1-2 BIG EAST) through the game’s first 45 minutes, thanks in large part to the back line. In the 26th minute, Grace Demaska was alone in the box and sent a shot on net, but Mikhaila Martinov cleared the line, keeping it scoreless.

After being outshot 9-5 over the first 40 minutes, keeper Diana Poulin made an incredible save on a Crystal Thomas shot, sending the ball over the bar for one of her two saves in the opening half.

Later in the half, Georgetown won three corner kicks in a span of a minute, all of which were defended. Then, the Johnnies responded on the counter. Streaking up the right side, Christina Bellero sent a rocket of a shot that banged off the crossbar and the two teams went into the break scoreless.

In the second half, the Red Storm turned it up offensively. In the 50th minute, Claudia Cagnina sent a shot that sailed just over the bar. Samie Scaffidi followed with a shot that went wide in the 52nd minute, before Morgan Tinari fired a shot off target in the 53rd minute. Shea Connors ended the flurry with a shot on goal, but Arielle Schechtman turned it aside.



In the 89th minute, the Red Storm won a corner kick, but couldn’t capitalize, sending the match to overtime.

Much of the first overtime session was played in the midfield with Georgetown taking the period’s only shot. Again, the Johnnies won a late corner, but couldn’t convert, forcing a second overtime period.

In the second extra session, Georgetown recorded the only shot and the game ended in a 0-0 draw.

Overall, the Hoyas held a 16-12 advantage in shots and a 15-7 edge in corners. Poulin made three saves to pick up her ninth clean sheet of the season.

The Johnnies will be back in action on Sunday, traveling to Creighton at 2 p.m.


  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago
ST.JOHN'S OFFICIAL STORE St. John's Official Store
Big East logo and link Home I M G logo and link Home N C A A logo and link Home St. John's University logo and link Home