Red Storm Set To Open Season Against Saint Francis (Pa.) At Home|
Aug. 21, 2014
QUEENS, N.Y. – The St. John’s women’s soccer team will kick off the 2014 season at home on Friday, Aug. 22, against Saint Francis (Pa.) at 7:30 p.m.
· The game will be broadcasted live (subscription required) on the Red Storm Sports All-Access network with Jon Perez and David Gaas on the call.
· This meeting between the Red Storm and the Red Flash marks only the third all-time and the first since Sept. 1, 2000, where St. John’s earned a 2-0 victory on the road.
· St. John’s is currently 2-0 all-time against Saint Francis (Pa.) and has outscored the Red Flash 10-0 in those two meetings.
· Friday’s matchup marks the first game of Ian Stone’s 21st season as the head coach of the Red Storm where he has accumulated a 182-157-41 overall record, including a 104-54-23 mark at home.
· The Red Storm set history last season as it earned the program’s first ever NCAA Tournament victory with a 3-1 victory over UCF in the opening round on Nov. 16.
· St. John’s split in its two preseason exhibition games last week, defeating Lehigh, 1-0, on Aug. 13 before falling to Rider, 2-1, on Aug. 16.
· Redshirt senior Jen Gibbons earned the lone goal in the 2-1 loss to Rider on Saturday, coming forward from the back line to put the ball in the back of the net and avoid the shutout.
· For more St. John’s women’s soccer, fans can check out the newly created official YouTube channel of St. John’s Athletics by searching St. John’s Red Storm on YouTube.com.
· Fans can join in the conversation on Twitter by following @StJohnsWSoccer and by using #SJUWSOC.
Scouting The Red Flash
· Saint Francis (Pa.) enters the 2014 season after reclaiming the NEC Championship with a 1-0 victory over LIU-Brooklyn in the conference finals last season.
· The Red Flash finished the 2013 season with a 13-8-1 overall record, including a 7-1-0 conference mark, and made its second-ever NCAA Tournament appearance with a first round loss to then-No. 1 Virginia on Nov. 15.
· The defending NEC Champions return to the pitch losing its top four points leaders, however, as Tesa McKibben (20 goals, 14 assists), Barbara Maros de Carvalho (nine goals, 10 assists), Ellie Gavin (four goals, seven assists) and Alecia McNiff (three goals, two assists) have all graduated last May.
· Looking to step up this season will be a pair of seniors in Eloá Nascimento and Mackenzie Walter who each scored a pair of goals for the Red Flash last season.
· Head Coach Brenda van Stralen returns to the pitch for her 11th season where she has garnered a pair of NEC Championships, three NEC Coach of the Year honors and an overall record of 101-72-26.
Red Storm vs. Red Flash – The Series
· Friday’s meeting marks the fourth all-time meeting between these two teams with St. John’s holding a 2-0 series advantage over Saint Francis (Pa.).
· The last time they met was Sept. 1, 2000, when St. John’s earned a 2-0 victory on the road.
· The first-ever meeting between these two teams was on Nov. 5, 1989, when the Red Storm shutout Saint Francis (Pa.), 8-0, at home.
Season tickets are available now for just $32. Call 1-888-GO-STORM to order today. Youth teams in eighth grade and below can scrimmage during halftime of any Red Storm home game. Group tickets are available for just $4 each. Call 718-990-2142 for more information.
Red Storm fans also can check out more video footage on the newly created official YouTube channel of St. John’s athletics by clicking here.